New feature request - advanced syncronize

English support for the software AllSync
kasper_dk

New feature request - advanced syncronize

Post by kasper_dk »

I have ran into my first shortcoming of AllSync! :cry:

Maybe there is a way around the problem already - but I just can't find it... Here we go:

Problem
I have a lot of pictures on my drive. These are automatically copied to a network drive, using AllSync - no problems so far.

Another user needs to get these pictures pushed out to her automatically, so I'm trying to set up a sync operation FROM the network drive TO her local disc (they must be copied to her local disc). Normal sync works fine, but the problem starts here:

Say that she has gotten "folder 1", "folder 2" and "folder 3" pushed out to her, "folder 1" she doesn't need so she deletes it on her local drive, "folder 2" is ok, "folder 3" is almost ok, but she deletes a few files inside the folder. Now guess what happens next time the sync is running... Everything that she has deleted on her local drive - is pushed right back out to her because Allsync of course thinks that she is missing the files. So I'm back to square one.

Solution:
It doesn't work to use the settings for deleting files in source that are deleted at destination. The files on the network drive should never be deleted. And this is where I can't find any usefull settings in Allsync. What I need is this:
A sync setting that keeps a record of ALL copied folders and/or files, so that ones a sync operation has been running, copying folder 1-3, it will not look at those folders again when the next sync is run; it will simply say "I have copied those folders already - what is new in the source"

Get my point? I guess it's a feature somewhere between sync and update. The only problem I see with it is that NEW files could be added to already copied folders - and those should of course be copied, so it's really only a "do-not-delete-files-from-already-copied-folders-function" I need.

Wow, that turned into a long explanation :) I hope you see the point - otherwise please get back to me. I would love this feature so much! Allsync has been my life saviour for the last three years! Amazing program! It's the first time I've been able to out-match it :D

Best regards
/Kasper
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: New feature request - advanced syncronize

Post by Administrator »

At this moment we can't provide you an easy solution to solve this special copy task but we have note your suggestion to our ToDo list for future releases.
kasper_dk

Post by kasper_dk »

Administrator wrote:At this moment we can't provide you an easy solution to solve this special copy task but we have note your suggestion to our ToDo list for future releases.
Hi!

Just thought that I would let you know that Microsoft has developed a small (and very basic) sync tool. Nothing compared to the power of AllSync - but it has the EXCACT function that I am missing in the current AllSync, so if you need inspiration for implementing the feature - check out how they've done it.

Out of five possible sync methods in the program it's the "Contribute" that I'm missing big time in AllSync, here is how they describe it's function: "New and updated files are copied left to right [source to destination]. Renames on the left [source] are repeated on the right [destination]. No deletions."

Just some input for you. Will use this program and function until it's implemented in AllSync. Hoping this will be soon :D

Keep up the good work guys!

Best regards
/Kasper
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

"New and updated files are copied left to right [source to destination]. Renames on the left [source] are repeated on the right [destination]. No deletions."
This is the same like the copy mode "Update" of AllSync...
kasper_dk

Post by kasper_dk »

Administrator wrote:
"New and updated files are copied left to right [source to destination]. Renames on the left [source] are repeated on the right [destination]. No deletions."
This is the same like the copy mode "Update" of AllSync...
No I don't think it is. Here is why:

"Update" causes ALL files not present at destination to be copied from source - not only new ones. And that's the whole point!

I only want to get the NEW files from the source, I don't want to "re-get" the files I have deleted in my destination, only the new ones since I last ran the copy. Thus the difference - and the missing function in AllSync at the moment.

See my first post in this thread for a detailed description of the problem. A problem to which I have found a solution to with Microsoft program - but would so much like to be able to do in AllSync instead!

/Kasper
kasper_dk

Post by kasper_dk »

You see the difference in these two methods? And are you still planing to include the mentioned method in future releases? Any idea of what timeframe we are looking at?

Best regards
/Kasper
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

You see the difference in these two methods?
Yes, after testing the copy mode "Contribute".
And are you still planing to include the mentioned method in future releases? Any idea of what timeframe we are looking at?
i will note that suggestion to our ToDo-List but i cant tell you a timeframe for the release of this feature.
kasper_dk

Post by kasper_dk »

Ok. Well thanks for testing it out. Looking forward to move back to AllSync for this only missing feature in your otherwise great great software!

/Kasper
kasper_dk

Any updates?

Post by kasper_dk »

Administrator wrote:
You see the difference in these two methods?
Yes, after testing the copy mode "Contribute".
And are you still planing to include the mentioned method in future releases? Any idea of what timeframe we are looking at?
i will note that suggestion to our ToDo-List but i cant tell you a timeframe for the release of this feature.
So where are we on this issue? Are there any news? Is this function moving up on the "to-do-list"? Is there are timeframe now? We're moving into the fifth month of waiting now..... Hoping that something will happen soon.

Best regards
/Kasper
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Any updates?

Post by Administrator »

Sorry, no news about your suggestion at this time. We working now (and last year) on a new major release (v3) that will be released in the next months.
kasper_dk

Post by kasper_dk »

Administrator wrote:Sorry, no news about your suggestion at this time. We working now (and last year) on a new major release (v3) that will be released in the next months.
Hello again,
One year since last post on this subject :-)
Can you confirm if the feature discussed above made it into version 3? And also; can you confirm if unicode characters are now supported (in version 3).

Thanks again.
/Kasper
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Can you confirm if the feature discussed above made it into version 3?

No, sorry.
can you confirm if unicode characters are now supported (in version 3).
Yes.