AllDup not finding Known Dups

English support for the software AllDup
geobrick

AllDup not finding Known Dups

Post by geobrick »

I've been using AllDup for at least a year (probably more) and it has been great!

I'm now using AllDup ver 4.5.48 with a clean install of Windows 11.

Since it's a new setup, I may have set something set incorrectly but Alldup is behaving strangely. In one specific comparison, Alldup is missing known duplicates.

I'm doing a file content only comparison between 2 folders using SHA-1. Both hard drives are attached to my PC internally.
I selected "only compare files between different source folders", the only file filters set are (excusive:) *.sfk and *.sfap0, and the folder filters are the defaults set by alldup.

These are the folders I'm comparing:
D:\Users\username\Documents
and
E:\Users\Public\Downloads

When I tried to check these folders again, Alldup instantly responded there are no duplicates found. It's as if it didn't even run the checksums.
I tried clearing and resetting the database (and also tried disabling the database). It didn't help.
When I tried selecting "compare files from all sources" alldup did a thorough search but only identified duplicates within the 'D:\Users\username\Documents' folder. I know there are files with matching hashes on the E: drive.

What am I missing?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: AllDup not finding Known Dups

Post by Administrator »

Create a text file with some content in the folder "D:\Users\username\Documents" and copy the file to "E:\Users\Public\Downloads".
Does AllDup find this duplicate file with the folder option "only compare files between different source folders"?
geobrick

Post by geobrick »

Yes it finds the duplicate text file easily. All the files not being "found" on the E drive are pdf files. There is no filter set for pdf files that I can see. I compared the hash values of the known duplicates with their counterparts on the D drive manually and they match. I also viewed the contents.

I should also note I have a file size filter to ignore files under 8 bytes (I didn't mention this in my original post).
geobrick

Post by geobrick »

Update: As I suspected, it's a user error. I was comparing the wrong folders.
The duplicate pdf files were in my c:\users\username\onedrive\documents folder not in my c:\users\username\documents folder.
Once again, AllDup wins!