Trying to delete duplicates, says I don't have permission

English support for the software AllDup
EDBLACK40@YMAIL.COM

Trying to delete duplicates, says I don't have permission

Post by EDBLACK40@YMAIL.COM »

I am new to this system and NOT a computer guru. I'm simply trying to delete duplicate photos, and I completed the scan. Then when I go to delete them, a pop-up says I don't have permission or I am not authorized to delete them. I am the admin on my computer, and I am logged in under the admin profile?
How can I fix this please?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Trying to delete duplicates, says I don't have permission

Post by Administrator »

Check the access permissions of the files you want to delete. An admin doesnt have the rights to delete all files on the computer.
therube

Post by therube »

Example of the location(s) scanned (& likewise, where duplicates were found)?

Possible (though I don't know offhand) that if the dups are found under different user accounts (or some other "protected" place);
like c:/users/ed & c:/users/joe, ed might not (?) be able to delete pictures from under joe (even if you, ed, are "admin").

Possible (though again not sure), that even though you are "admin", you might still have to actually run AllDup "as Administrator",
in order to do like above?

You might be able to check something like that out (if that is the type of situation you are in).
Find a very small subset of files to test with - even 1 matching pair.
So: c:/users/ed/pic1.jpg & c:/users/joe/pic1.jpg
Run AllDup normally, & tell it do delete joe/pic1.jpg.

Assuming it complains (permission error), do the same, though this time run AllDup "as Administrator" & see if this time it allow the deletion of joe/pic1.jpg.

(Running "ad Administrator" is less safe then not. So it is not something you'd want to do, normally.)
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

yes, thats correct, starting an app without explicit admin rights will run the app as an normal user without admin rights.
you should right-click AllDup and choose "run as admin..". this could fix your problem.