File Preview Issue And Directory Duplication Detection

English support for the software AllDup
criptopus

File Preview Issue And Directory Duplication Detection

Post by criptopus »

I had run a check on my external hard drive and after 7 hours it found 135,000 duplicates, man thats a lot.
Any way thought I would go through them and at least remove the large duplicate files to make some room.

I got down to a set of pdf's and when I clicked on them it began opening Adobe Acrobat, I didn't realy want it to open that as I just wanted to click on the required boxes so that I could click delete after I'd done a few pages.

Anyway it crashed and all my ticking hard work was forgotten, to boot I had to reload (well after 7 hours comparing files I had to save the results). That process is still going on as I write this.

I was trying to think of a better way of doing this job with so many files duplicated and wondered if it was possible to find duplicate folders with exactiy the same stuff in them. Not every folder but those folders closest to the root of the file system as obviously folders within will have duplicate files and folders this would be expected.

This way I dont have a huge list to look through but can tick directories to delete knowing I have the same stuff in another directory anyway and do a huge amount of work in one go?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: File Preview Issue And Directory Duplication Detection

Post by Administrator »

AllDup can only find duplicate files and not folders with the same content.
therube

Post by therube »

after 7 hours it found 135,000 duplicates, man thats a lot.
Anyway it crashed and all my hard work was forgotten
Do note that once a scan has finished, in the Results window, you are able to save those results (prior to doing anything else).

Search Result -> Save (Save as)

Then, if you happen to crash, you can reload that saved search session (from the main AllDup) window.

Search Results -> Stored Search Results

(Maybe AllDup could have an option to automatically save the last Search?
And that would automatically be cleared on program Exit - except if there happened to be a crash, in which case it could be reloaded on restart.)
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

save search result.png