AllDup Window Missing

English support for the software AllDup
dlflemingos

AllDup Window Missing

Post by dlflemingos »

I'm running AllDup V4.5.37 on W11 and the window will go missing. It shows up running in task manager but there is no way to see the window. I know how to relocate a window off the screen but the AllDup window does not show up in the Alt-Tab list. There is also no switch to option in the task manager. Where did the window go and how do I get it back? My only option is to kill the process and launch a new one but I have to start over and this happens frequently. It seems to happen when I resize or minimize the window.
therube

Re: AllDup Window Missing

Post by therube »

Aside from the issue itself, you might check what you can see with Process Hacker.
https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/

When this happens, open Process Hacker.
Right-click the Alldup.exe process & one of the items displayed will be Window.

If Window is grayed out, there is no "window" (to act upon).
If it is not grayed out, you can expand its' dropdown & see if the 'Bring to front' menu item does anything useful (i.e., displays the window).
dlflemingos

Post by dlflemingos »

Window is "greyed" out. What happened to it? This happens frequently with only my AllDup windows. How do I get the window back or prevent this?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Have you activated the search result option "Minmize window to the notification area"?
dlflemingos

Post by dlflemingos »

No, I have not. The window goes missing while it is still executing, so I don't get to the results part. It will run for 20 hrs then the window disappears but it is still running without a window. I have to kill the process and start it over.

Also, I do not know where that option is. I looked but can't find it.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

dlflemingos wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 07:08 Also, I do not know where that option is. I looked but can't find it.
Search result menu bar -> Options ...
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

try the tool "wherzit" to get back the hidden window: https://www.bcheck.net/apps/wherzit.htm
dlflemingos

Post by dlflemingos »

I figured this out. It shows up in the show hidden icons. On the toolbar at the lower right there is an upwards arrow. Click on that and the missing Alldup window can be restored. I have no idea why Alldup windows tend to end up there.
therube

Post by therube »

So AllDup is ending up in your System Tray?
If so, maybe for some reason, the setting for AllDup had gotten set to Off?

https://www.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploa ... ows-11.jpg
test123123123

Post by test123123123 »

Hi. I'm having this same issue. After the search is completed, the AllDup window goes missing.

However, I do not see it in my system tray icons.

I can see it when I hoover over the AllDup icon on the taskbar and then hoover over the miniature version of the AllDup window, but I cannot click it, because as soon as I move the mouse cursor, the window disappears again. It seems to be greyed out in some way.

I tried looking for the option "Minimize window to the notification area" but the thing is that it seems to be in the menu bar ("Search Results", "Columns" etc.) and I have no menu bar. Interestingly the menu bar does show up in the greyed out window that I see when hoovering over the miniaturized version of the window.

I'm running AllDup 4.5.52 on Windows 11
Last edited by test123123123 on 05 Nov 2023, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
test123123123

Post by test123123123 »

Administrator wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 12:21 try the tool "wherzit" to get back the hidden window: https://www.bcheck.net/apps/wherzit.htm
Wherzit crashes when I try this
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

test123123123 wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 18:56 Hi. I'm having this same issue. After the search is completed, the AllDup window goes missing.
I cant reproduce this using Win11:

1. I minimized the search result window while the scan is running
2. I restored the search result window by clicking on the AllDup icon in the windows task bar (after the search was done)
test123123123

Post by test123123123 »

Strange. I didn't minimize the search result though.

I do see that AllDup is still using 20-30% processor power while in that state. Could it be that it's actually calculating something? I left it on over night but there was not improvement in the morning.

I let it scan a 5TB drive with about 4TB of data on it. There were about 400.000 dupes. Could this be the reason? Perhaps calculating the results just takes a really long time or it somehow crashes?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

I do see that AllDup is still using 20-30% processor power while in that state. Could it be that it's actually calculating something?
Yes. But without access to the progress window we dont know what AllDup currently is doing...

You can use Sysinternals Process Monitor to check what the AllDup.exe process is doing in the background.
therube

Post by therube »

I do see that AllDup is still using 20-30% processor power while in that state. Could it be that it's actually calculating something?
Certainly possible.
Though for it to still be happening, overnight, I'd think to be odd - but you never know.

Tell us about your scan (settings, number of files...).
AllDup4.txt &/or lastsearch.txt might have clues (depending on when they are written out).
Also any error.txt would be worth seeing.

(In the Portable version of AllDup that would be found in the /log/ directory.
With the installer, I'd assume it would be somewhere in %APPDATA%?)