AllDup HELP NEEDED with File > Select, Remove DUP photos

English support for the software AllDup
Kyryhniann

AllDup HELP NEEDED with File > Select, Remove DUP photos

Post by Kyryhniann »

Greetings! I am new to AllDup but love that I finally found the tool I need to clean up my hard drive Pictures folder! So CHEERS to the developers and admins and people of this great forum community! Hopefully there is a simple solution to my query and someone has previously asked it and gotten an answer.

SUMMARY: Select Pictures folder, scan, get Search Result, then for EACH/EVERY group, choose ONE file to keep in each group and delete ALL the other duplicate files in that group. Repeat for all remaining groups.

Here's my confusion/frustration: After selecting my Pictures root folder and AllDup scanning it recursively, I am presented with the Search Result with the file groups. When I expand a group I can see all the details with the one Reference File highlighted in a different color. It seems that there is no easy way to KEEP the group's Reference File (since it's as good as any of the duplicates found) and remove all other duplicate files, and to repeat this process for ALL remaining groups.

Does this make sense? Through poor file management on my part, some of my Results groups have 20 or more duplicates each, making it a nightmare and very time-consuming to have to go through all those folders manually to select what to keep and what to discard as duplicates. I have 17,284 duplicates in 1,285 groups. UGH!

So if there is a way for each and every group (in turn) to AUTOMATICALLY Select the Reference File (or A specified file) to keep (UNchecked) while marking all other duplicates (checked) for removal?

I am unsure if that Reference file can be selected automatically in all groups at once, but that would solve my problem if it was a Select menu option. But if not, how do YOU choose which duplicate file in each group to keep?

Any and all help is much appreciated, so thank you in advance!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: AllDup HELP NEEDED with File > Select, Remove DUP photos

Post by Administrator »

Please check the drop-down menu "Select" at the menu bar for different auto-select actions like:

•Select all files except the first file in each group
•Select all files except the last file in each group
•Select all files except the newest file in each group
•Select all files except the oldest file in each group
Kyryhniann

Re: AllDup HELP NEEDED with File > Select, Remove DUP photos

Post by Kyryhniann »

Thank you! I did see those options and decided that they would work just as well since they are all DUPs, especially if all at 100%. Thanks for the quick reply, it is much appreciated!