select by percentage produces odd results

English support for the software AllDup
rn216ccc@gmailk.com

select by percentage produces odd results

Post by rn216ccc@gmailk.com »

How do you use the "select all with percentage greater than" or "less than".

I would think it should work like any of the other select-by feature that AllDup has to offer. However, no matter what value I enter for "select all with percentage greater than or equal to 0," nothing gets selected. It is also true, that typing any value in the option to select all by percentage less then, will always select everything. I can even enter -1 and still AllDup selects everything? How is that even possible? How can you have less than or equal to -1% matches? There is no such thing.

I do not get it at all, and if someone could shed some light explaining how this feature works that would be
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: select by percentage produces odd results

Post by Administrator »

Did you run a search like "Similar pictures" that uses the match value (see match column)?
rn216ccc@gmailk.com

@Administrator -> No I am not looking for duplicate pictures. So does this mean that Alldup can only compare the accuracy of picture content? I was hoping to use this tool to find duplicate 3d fbx files that are 95% or greater accurate.

This is my current situation. Besides Alldup, I am using FreeFileSync, and my last scan showed that the content of several files do not match. Most likely this could of been as simply by mistake when I saved the file with a different material or texture and on a different drive. However, to be sure as a double measure, I thought I could use Alldup and set the comparison accuracy of 95% or greater, and anything below that range will be archived for later use or deeper comparison. Is this possible?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Yes, that is possible if you run a search for the file content and select a mach of 95%.
therube

Post by therube »

Thinking it is also going to depend on how the Match algorithm works.
As in we may look at a set of files & say, yeah, they "match".
But the algorithm looks & says, no, those files don't fit the criteria.

This is found, 80% (& I imagine it would also match at a much higher % too?):

But this is not. Not even at 20%. Other then the highlighted parts, the parts above & below are identical.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

AllDup always compares a block of data from the file content. The size of the data block can be defined by the user.

Example:

If you define a data bock of 10 KB and compare two files with 100 KB each and only one data block is different: you will get a 90% match
rn216ccc@gmailk.com

@-> Administrator & TheRube,
These 2 posts are good to know. Also, I have taken a second look, and my problem was that I did not set my settings to Byte-By-Byte. Thank You for anyways; I will definitely keep the both of your answers in mind. :P