Retry on Error

English support for the software AllSync
vp

Retry on Error

Post by vp »

AllSync is excellent!!!

There is one feature missing, that would be an extremely important feature for me. If you would consider implementing it, I'd be grateful.

I keep getting errors such as this when running profiles over VPN:

ERROR: CopyFile1: ReadFile1: #64 - The specified network name is no longer available. (W:\[...removed...] ----> D:\[...removed...])

I would like the option in this case for AllSync to retry on error, after X seconds, for Y number of times. These network drops are usually very short, and it would make network backups much more reliable.

What do you think?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Retry on Error

Post by Administrator »

Coming soon. Check for updates next week.
vp

Post by vp »

Thanks!

By the way.... is there any way AllSync can resume the partial download when retrying after an error?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

vp wrote:is there any way AllSync can resume the partial download when retrying after an error?
Sorry, thats not possible. Maybe we can implement this feature at the copy method C in a future release. i will note your request on the ToDo-List.
vp

Post by vp »

I think there might be a bug in this feature...

Let's say a task is set to be allowed to run only from 5 to 6 PM. Let's say at 5:58 AllSync starts copying a file, but the connection drops at 6:01. AllSync should then quit the task because it's outsite the run period.

It seems that AllSync doesn't do this, instead it retries the file until it reaches the "max. retries" number (or until the file gets copied in full), and only then quits.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

will be fixed with the next update. thanks for feedback!
vp

Post by vp »

OK, after a while using this feature, I have another request...

I think this feature needs to be more specific.

Retry on error is important when the error is network-related, i.e. "#64 - The specified network name is no longer available".

For my purposes at least, there is no need to retry on error if the error is a read error in the source, a write error in the destination ("corrupted and unreadable", "permission denied", etc.), a locked file, etc.

I know that giving the user optimum flexibility with so many possible error codes is difficult, so I have come up with an idea on how to implement this without cluttering up the interface (there are, after all, many possible error codes). Please feel free to disregard this, it's just an idea.

At its simplest, my idea is to have an edit box where the user will specify all the numeric error codes for which the "retry on error" is applicable. So, if I put "64 33" in the box, retry on error will be applicable for those 2 error codes only - file locked and network name unavailable.

The more complex (and more complete) way to implement this would be to allow a different number of attempts and a different interval for each error code. Users could enter this in a multi-line text area as follows:
64 9 30 (error#64, 9 retries, 30 seconds)
33 2 30 (error#33, 2 retries, 30 seconds)
etc. There are more user-friendly ways of implementing this, obviously, but they would take (presumably) longer to create.

Last but not least, I don't like the limit of 9 for the "retries" (number) field; I'd like it to keep trying until success, or until outside the run period. This only for error #64 of course :)

I hope all this makes sense to someone.....
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

vp wrote:Retry on error is important when the error is network-related, i.e. "#64 - The specified network name is no longer available".
Thanks for your feedback. I have noted your suggestion on the ToDo-List. I think the text box with "error number, retries, seconds" will be ok.
Last but not least, I don't like the limit of 9 for the "retries" (number) field;
With the next update you can enter a max. value of 99.
vp

Post by vp »

Thanks! I am loving this software more and more :D
vp

Post by vp »

One more thing...

I think the text box with "error number, retries, seconds" might need to have a fourth field, a boolean value, specifying whether to abort the task if the number of retries has been exhausted.

Let's say we have "64, 9, 30" and "33, 1, 1", and AllSync received error #64 ("unavailable") on a file 9 times. In this case, I would probably want to abort the task - especially if there's another one waiting to be exectuted. However, if the error is #33 ("locked"), there will be no retry - but obviously I'd like AllSync to proceed to the next file and complete the task.

If the text field had 4 values, the aforementioned lines would be "64, 9, 30, 1" and "33, 1, 1, 0" and all would be good.

I guess you know by now I'm a programmer... thanks for being so responsive, I really appreciate it, as I'm sure other AllSync users do.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Thanks for feedback. I have added your new suggestion to the ToDo-List.
vp

Post by vp »

Any news on when we might see this feature?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

I send you new version of AllSync for testing when the new feature is available this week.

I think the new textbox with the values "error number, retries, seconds to wait, abort flag" will fit your needs.
vp

Post by vp »

Thank you so much for this feature!

Question: If I have multiple folder pairs set (1:1 correspondence) and the "abort flag" is set, will AllSync abort the task, or just the current folder pair?

Assuming the answer is "the task", can there be a value "2" for the abort flag that will abort only the current folder pair? Or is this too much to ask? ;)

TIA
vp

Post by vp »

Why can't I copy/paste multiple rules from/to the "advanced rules" box? Is this by design, a bug, or is something wrong with my system?