Multitasking, Multithreading, Simultaneous Task Execution

English support for the software AllSync
vp

Multitasking, Multithreading, Simultaneous Task Execution

Post by vp »

What happens if a few tasks are set to the same time via the scheduler? Can AllSync run multiple tasks simultaneously, or will the program always wait until one task ends before another begins? TIA
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Multitasking, Multithreading, Simultaneous Task Executio

Post by Administrator »

Only one task can be started via the scheduler at the same time. Please use the "Tolerance" value of the tasks if you set the same start time to different tasks.
vp

Post by vp »

I understand about the tolerance time, but I'd like to run more than one task simultaneously.

My understanding is that if I have one task set to start at 2:00 and one at 2:01, the second will always begin after the first is done, and cannot run simultaneously. Is this correct?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

vp wrote:I understand about the tolerance time, but I'd like to run more than one task simultaneously.
Simultaneously is not possible...
My understanding is that if I have one task set to start at 2:00 and one at 2:01, the second will always begin after the first is done, and cannot run simultaneously. Is this correct?
Yes, but the second task starts only if his start time + tolerance is higher than the time the first task is finished...
vp

Post by vp »

Got it, thanks.

Any plans to implement multithreading? I back up over VPN and the other side's upload speed is significantly lower than my donload speed... I could easily back up simultaneously if the program let me do it.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Any plans to implement multithreading?
Its on the ToDo-List, but i cant tell you when it will be implemented.
I could easily back up simultaneously if the program let me do it.
Hint: you can start your profiles simultaneously if you start them via the command line of AllSync...
vp

Post by vp »

Ooooh good hint...

The problem I see is that I would need to have a scheduler handy.... I like the way I sepcify maximum run times and make it quit at a certain hour, I really use that stuff. I prefer to wait until you implement it, rather than lose this wonderful functionality.

I also want to say what a great program! It is so smart, every angle seems to be covered, it's great because I feel that the author is on the same wavelength as me. The license model is brilliant, by the way. Look out for a purchase of 6 additional licenses in the next few days. Painful but brilliant :)
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

vp wrote:The problem I see is that I would need to have a scheduler handy....
Maybe the onboard task scheduler from Microsoft fits your needs...
vp

Post by vp »

Your scheduler is much better :)
Microsoft doesn't e-mail me with the log.