Rename functionality

English support for the software AllDup
nschloss

Rename functionality

Post by nschloss »

Tried to rename 5 files I had selected. I obviously did something wrong. Only the first file was renamed and the remaining 4 have apparently been deleted. Please educate me with examples on the proper method to rename files with the same name+number increment and extension.

Haven't found a way to recover the deleted files. They don't appear with any typical file recovery tools. Thoughts?

Thanks.
therube

Re: Rename functionality

Post by therube »

Look like, by default, the renamed files would be named with the same name/extension, prefaced by "DUPLICATE ".

So: xyz.mp4 -> "DUPLICATE xyz.mp4"

Do a search for files of the same size that you have "lost".
Do a search for files of the same date that you have lost.
Do a search for files that have DUPLICATE in their name.
Depending on if you used %1 %2 (again default setting) or what you may have used, you might have ended up with a file with no extension, so perhaps, "xyz.".
The log file, depending on how much you have it logging, may provide some details.

Everything is great for searching for files (including by size & date & all kinds of criteria).
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Rename functionality

Post by Administrator »

What version of AllDup do you use?
nschloss wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 02:56 Tried to rename 5 files I had selected. I obviously did something wrong. Only the first file was renamed and the remaining 4 have apparently been deleted.
Please check the log file to see the new file names.
nschloss wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 02:56Please educate me with examples on the proper method to rename files with the same name+number increment and extension.
Sorry, number increment is not possible.