Digits in front of filename

English support for the software AllDup
chuckl

Digits in front of filename

Post by chuckl »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I have a question regarding searching similar filenames. These happen to be mp3 files. Here are the filename examples:
(a) "01 On the Move"
(b) "On the Move[/b]"
(c) "15 On the Move"
I'm trying to return the search to find all three files using wildcards. (note there is an intentional space in these queries to exclude the space before first letter of filename). Using the "[!0-9 ]" combination returns (a) and (b) files, but not (c). I've tried different combinations like "## ", "0* ". Is there a way to combine wildcards or combination to include filenames with double digits like "15" before the filename so that the dup search displays all three filenames? I'm currently using latest version 4.1. Smart Match option @ 90%.

Thank you for your help.
Charlie
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Digits in front of filename

Post by Administrator »

Try using the file name option "Ignore specific characters from the file name" and ignore all numbers.
chuckl

Post by chuckl »

Thank you. But how do I "ignore all numbers"? I don't see an option or setting for that?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

What version of AllDup do you use?
chuckl

Post by chuckl »

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Just put the numbers you want to ignore inside the text box below the option i mentioned before...
chuckl

Post by chuckl »

Yes, and that process. I guess I didn't explain my question. Say I have 2,500 or so different songs. Within the library there may be any number of them that otherwise match, based on the actual song title, but several hundred of them have some random double digit track #'s in front of them. And say I don't know what those #'s are. Is there some way to use wildcards to find any "double digit" numbers. This way the scan will ignore any numbers in front of the filenames so that all duplicates of the files are returned in the result?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Did you ignore all numbers from 0 to 9 with the option i mentioned before?

This should match all songs from your example below:
(a) "01 On the Move"
(b) "On the Move"
(c) "15 On the Move"
chuckl

Post by chuckl »

Yes, I've done that (see my original post). "15 One the Move" is excluded from the search. Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up using Bulk Rename to remove the track #s. Now it's not a problem. Thanks for your responses. It's a great program.