command line options

English support for the software AllDup
FrizzleFry

command line options

Post by FrizzleFry »

I usually launch AllDup from my file manager using command line options to pass folders to search:

AllDupPortable -s4 folder1 folder2

it seems that running AllDup this way always disables the 'Detect only duplicates from different source folders' option... I guess because all existing folders are unselected...

I would like to have a command line option to explicitly set the different source folders option. Another useful command line option would be a way to specify different config files.

Thanks
therube

Post by therube »

What I did was to set up a second instance of AllDup.
That way it has its own settings, its own config.ini ...

I have a batch file that I use to search the current directory tree:

Code: Select all

SET      XDIRNAME=%CD%
SET
PAUSE

START  ""  C:\DEV\DUPLICATE\AllDup\alldup_commandline\AllDupPortable.exe %XDIRNAME%
EXIT
Within \AllDup\ I have my "normal" profile, started from my desktop.
Within \AllDup\alldup_commandline\ I have a second instance, set up to my liking, specifically to start from a command prompt (via the batch file).

I'm pretty sure that what changes you make to your settings during the run time of AllDup, they are (by default at least) saved when you exit. So unless you specifically change a setting, what you last used should be what is used the next time. If that is the case, then I would expect AllDup to honor the 'different source folders' setting if it had been set.
therube

Post by therube »

OK, so I tried & looks like you're right.

When called with the command line (directory parameters), the 'different source folders' option is reset (set to 0), thereby ignored.
therube

Post by therube »

Another useful command line option would be a way to specify different config files.
Agreed.

That way I could just point to the particular config.ini file that I wanted rather then needing to have two actual instances of AllDup.

(Suppose if you could point to a particular config.ini, you would also want/need a particular associated Toolbar.xml too. My two instances are set up quite differently.)
FrizzleFry

Post by FrizzleFry »

Yeah, I have been using different folders/instances to have different configs for a while... it works but it seems very inefficient... and it does not fix the different source folders issue...
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

I added a new command line option to specify a profile. Please drop me an email to get the new update.
FrizzleFry

Post by FrizzleFry »

I got the update... the option to choose profiles works well for loading different configurations (thanks for adding that)... but it does not seem to help with the different source folders problem... sending folders to search from the command line still disables that option...
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Thanks for the feedback. I could reproduce and fix the problem. New update is available. Drop me an email.
therube

Post by therube »

I'll give it a go.
Dropped you an email.
Thanks.
FrizzleFry

Post by FrizzleFry »

The new update fixes the resetting of the different source folders option but I am still not seeing the behavior I expect... maybe I am not interpreting the meaning of the different source folders option... I thought that with that option set AllDup would not find dups in the same folder and subfolders, that it would only compare files from one folder tree to files in another folder tree... but that is not what is happenning...

Thanks for updating AllDup and for any additional info.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Example:

Source folders:

1. C:\Data
2. D:\Backup

With the option "Detect only duplicates from different source folders" activated AllDup will show only duplicate files that will exist inside folder 1 AND 2. Duplicate files that exist only inside folder 1 OR 2 are not shown up at the search result.
FrizzleFry

Post by FrizzleFry »

Ok, I see... It's what I thought but I confused myself with my quick-and-simple (and incomplete) test :?

Thanks and for the info and updates to this very useful program.