Estimated Time to Completion

English support for the software AllDup
Heartland

Estimated Time to Completion

Post by Heartland »

Can AllDup display the estimated time to completion while searching?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Estimated Time to Completion

Post by Administrator »

Its easy to show the time of completion if you copy a file from A to B. If you search for duplicates there are no fix values to determine the time to completion. Sorry.
Heartland

Post by Heartland »

I think you can get a rough estimate after a few seconds because you already show duration and the progress as a percentage. The estimated time to completion is:

TimeLeft = ElapsedTime/PercentCompleted - ElapsedTime

If the progress is at 15% and the duration is 45 seconds then the time left is 4:15.

45/.15 - 45 = 255 seconds = 4 minutes and 15 seconds

If you keep recalculating periodically, the estimate will get more accurate as the progress approaches 100%.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

I dont want to show a very rough estimated time to completion. The current progress is calculated by the the maximum file count. Up to the search criteria and options there are so many different comparing actions for each single file. Some files need many comparing other files not. The estimated time to completion will not be helpful because the showed time is not real. If i copy a file from A to B i want to see a real estimated time to completion but the search for duplicates is to complex and unpredictable to show this time.