maintaining original timestamps

English support for the software AllSync
Dimitri

maintaining original timestamps

Post by Dimitri »

With the "Test1" profile, when I do a sync, all new files in the destination folder have a NEW timestamp!

This causes allsync to RE-copy the files back to the source folders, the next time I do a sync, because it mistakenly thinks that the original files are older and out-of-date.

How do I prevent this? I can't find any option to "maintain original timestamp" but it seems obvious that this should always be the default behavior.

Allsync has the potential of being a great sync program, but it's not there yet. Iit's got problems that must be fixed, before I can consider using it for my company's important data.

I must look into a different sync program from another vendor, unless these problems are resolved quickly.

Dimitri
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: maintaining original timestamps

Post by Administrator »

Please read the section "Adjusting the Time Differential of Files": http://www.allsync.biz/help/e_erweitert.htm
Dimitri

Re: maintaining original timestamps

Post by Dimitri »

I assume you meant for me to read this portion?
"If you are copying files between NTFS and/or FAT, the Date Modified date/time of the two files may exhibit a differential of several seconds."

Some of the files copied to the destination folder had NEW timestamps (not just a few seconds.) These destination files had brand new timestamps like March 19, 2005 (as opposed to, say, January 23, 2003.)

Only some of them. Not all. Very strange.

Anyway, I installed a different sync program (a freeware one). It's not as good as yours, but it seems to be enough for my present needs. Perhaps I'll try your program again in the future, if my needs require it.

Take care.
Dimitri
OlegV

Post by OlegV »

This actually seems to be a problem in my case as well.
The whole thing would have been much simpler if there was an option to copy the files times and dates from source to destination (if these are newer files)
Oleg Vishnevetski
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

OlegV wrote:This actually seems to be a problem in my case as well.
Do you have problems with the timestamp "last modified"?
OlegV

Post by OlegV »

No..
Problems with Created date
Oleg Vishnevetski
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Windows sets the timestamp "Created date" automatically to the present time&date if someone copy and create a new file. what problems do you have with the timestamp "Created date"?