Select all files inside the folder structure of this file

English support for the software AllDup
britd

Select all files inside the folder structure of this file

Post by britd »

I use "Select all files inside the folder structure of this file" all the time. It is very convenient. Often I need to go up a directory or two, so I just delete the subdirectories I don't want.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 the address bar has clickable navigation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ddress-bar

I am wondering if AllDup could make the folder structure field clickable like Window's address bar?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Select all files inside the folder structure of this fil

Post by Administrator »

We will replace the current input box with a folder tree:

Heartland

Post by Heartland »

I like this feature!

Can you have AllDup remember the window size and postion? And can you make it work even if the directory is deleted outside of AllDup?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Heartland wrote:Can you have AllDup remember the window size and postion?
Yes.
Heartland wrote:And can you make it work even if the directory is deleted outside of AllDup?
No, the tree only shows existing directorys...
britd

Post by britd »

I think a single line address bar is more appropriate for this since I'm right-clicking a file and starting with a path, I should only be allowed to select a parent folder--not a folder on another drive. The folder tree takes a long time to populate, so a benefit is that the single address bar is going to be much faster to display and be easier to select a parent folder. The tree requires some scrolling which slows me down further. Also, you could populate the address bar with the selected path so if a subfolder is deleted outside of AllDup, the path can still be presented allowing selection of a parent folder.

Thanks for the consideration.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

The picture above with the tree is just a example. The "real" folder tree shows only the selected folder.
britd

Post by britd »

With 3.3.25 and several external hard drives connected the tree took over 2 minutes to open. It shows all hard drives, the desktop, CD/DVD drives, network places, and all the folders under My Documents. Is it not supposed to do this?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Thanks for the feedback. I found the menu item at the file context menu that shows the complete tree! This will be fixed with the next update. Please send me a email if you need the update now.
Synetech

Post by Synetech »

I agree that the new (3.3.0.25) folder dialog is not practical. It’s a nice feature, but currently does not work well enough to make it worth while.

If there are a lot of folders, then Alldup can hang for a minute or two with 100% CPU while the folder dialog populates. The old way was slightly less convenient, but much faster.

Also, moving the mouse cursor over it flickers really badly.

I would prefer the text box, with the option of using wildcards. For example, more helpful than the folder dialog, would be to let the user enter something like this:

Code: Select all

?:\foobar\blah*\stuff
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Also, moving the mouse cursor over it flickers really badly.
This could be fixed if we turn off the tooltip feature for the node items.
Synetech wrote:If there are a lot of folders, then Alldup can hang for a minute or two with 100% CPU while the folder dialog populates.
How to reproduce this problem? If i add a new source folder and populate first C: and next C:\Windows and next C:\Windows\system32. Everything populate fast and dont hang. I use here a Vista PC with a old Intel CPU Core2Duo 2,26GHz.
Last edited by Administrator on 25 Feb 2012, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Synetech

Post by Synetech »

Like britd said, it happens with slow disks/discs or network folders, but having a lot of folders in a lot of folders (ie, lots of folders nested deeply) also does it.

Also, having an old, slow system certainly helps (uh, I mean hurts). I’m using a P4 1.7GHz which takes 1-2 minutes if I scan my big dump folder (where I keep all of the files I have downloaded from the Internet over the years and try to sort into subdirectories).

I’ll try to record a screenshot, but that will probably just slow it down even more.
Synetech

Post by Synetech »

Okay, I recorded a screenshot, but it stutters a lot (my system is too slow to record in real-time), so it ends up only ~30 second (a lot of dropped frames), but the actual time is ~1 minute.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Sorry, the video dont run. No access or so...

I can replace the new dialog with an alternative folder dialog. I prefer to let the user choose the dialog by an option. Drop me an email if you want to test alternative dialogs at your slow pc.
Last edited by Administrator on 27 Feb 2012, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Synetech

Post by Synetech »

Yes, an option would be perfect and do the trick for all situations!

(The video shows that the dialog takes a long time to populate because there are a lot of folders nested—the thumb-pad in the scroll-bar gets very small. :o)

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Just waiting for your email to send you an new update for testing other folder dialogs. But im not sure they will help if you have so many sub-folders....