wildcard not working in exclusive folder filter?

English support for the software AllDup
mdeck

wildcard not working in exclusive folder filter?

Post by mdeck »

Hi,

I'm on Win7-64, AllDup 3.3.14, just installed last night for the first time.

"Use File Filter" is not checked.

"Use Folder Filter" IS checked; radio button is set to "Exclusive"; all filters are checked; no options are checked (not "ignore wildcards" and not "case insensitive").

One of my filters is a wildcard:
?:\AppData
so it doesn't look in any user's c:\users\<name>\AppData folder.

At least, that's the theory. It looks in those folders every time.

????

(Note that I can specify each of the folders directly and that works fine, but that rather defeats the purpose of having the wildcard in the first place. :)

-- mdeck
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: wildcard not working in exclusive folder filter?

Post by Administrator »

"?:\AppData" doesnt match with "c:\users\<name>\AppData". Just use the folder filter text "appdata".
mdeck

Post by mdeck »

From help:
When a filter text contains a backslash (\) comparison is made with the entire path of the current folder.
which says to me that "?:\AppData" should match "<anydrive>:\<anypath>\AppData" (e.g., "c:\users\<name>\AppData").

If that's not the case, it could be made clearer in help.

And I request that as a feature. :)

So that means that the included-by-default filter "?:\Favorites" doesn't do anything, huh? (As far back as I can remember with Windows -- and I go back to 3.1 -- "favorites" have always been associated with a username, so they'd never be at the top level of a drive's filesystem.)

-- mdeck
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

A backslash (\) is NOT a placeholder for <anypath>. If you use "?:\AppData" the folder AppData must be on the root of any drive.

I dont know why the the "?:\Favorites" is included at your folder filters.
AllDup only adds the enviroment variables "windir" & "ProgramFiles" and the hard coded folders "System Volume Information" and Recycle Bin folders to the folder filter list.