option to exit AllDup when closing search results window

English support for the software AllDup
FrizzleFry

option to exit AllDup when closing search results window

Post by FrizzleFry »

Could we have an option to exit AllDup when we close the search results window?

A command line option would be perfect since that is how I use AllDup most often (from a user command in my file manager).

Another nice option would be to automatically exit the search results window if all entries have been removed... you are already doing this when no dups are found.

I am basically trying to reduce the number clicks to exit AllDup after I delete some dups.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: option to exit AllDup when closing search results window

Post by Administrator »

Next update (3.3.x):

NEW: Search Result / Toolbar: Added the popup menu "Save search result and exit AllDup" to the button "Save search result and exit".

NEW: Search Result / Toolbar: Added the popup menu "Exit AllDup" to the button "Exit".

Further features:

NEW: Added the search criteria "Hardlink".

NEW: Search Options: Added the option "Show hardlink count at the search result (slower)".

NEW: Search Result: Added the column "Hardlinks".

NEW: Search Result / Toolbar: Added the button "Jump to the next expanded group".

New update for testing is available. Drop me a email.
bmadtiger

Post by bmadtiger »

I'm curious about your new "HardLink" search criteria etc. It seems rather odd, that I can use this program to create hardlinks only to have them show up in subsequent scans still showing as duplicates files! Kind of defeats the purpose.

Looking forward to a version of AllDup that can ignore hardlinks as well as junction points.

Thanks
bmadtiger
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

You already can ignore junction points with the folder option "Don't search folders (NTFS junction points) that point to the contents of another folder".

How to ignore hardlinks? Exclude all files with a hardlink count >0 from the search?
bmadtiger

Post by bmadtiger »

Yes, the ignore Junction point feature works well - thanks.

Yes, (from the little I know about hardlinks) ignoring files with Hardlink Count > 0 would do it - is that what you're "NEW: Added the search criteria "Hardlink" does?

Can we at least filter the search results to include only files where the hardlink count column displays 0?

Where can I get a copy of the NEW version that has this feature? It's not in the 3.3.0 that I downloaded?

thanks
bmadtiger
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

The new search criteria "Hardlink" only shows files with a hardlink count >0 and groups the identical files together.
Can we at least filter the search results to include only files where the hardlink count column displays 0?
If we exclude all files with a hardlink count > 0 we never wil find duplicates of these excluded files. Lets say we have 3 identical files: file C:\a.txt and C:\b.txt are hardlinked together. And we have the file C:\c.txt. If we exclude now the hardlinked files we will never know that c.txt is a duplicate file of the hardlinked files....
Where can I get a copy of the NEW version that has this feature?
Drop me a email.
bmadtiger

Post by bmadtiger »

Yep - I can see your point. And you could even have two sets of hardlinked files that are actually duplicates of each other. A.txt and b.txt are hardlinked together and C.txt and D.txt are also hardlinked together, but both sets of files are duplicates, so we'd want to be able to select them all to be hardlinked into one file.

What I'm looking for is the ability to hardlink duplicate files together and then when I re-scan not have them show up as duplicates again. Hence my suggestion to just be able to filter them out of the results. Still include them in the search/scan but if all the files in a group are hardlinks of each other, ignore them.

Is that possible?
Thanks
bmadtiger
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Ok, i understand now what you wanna do with AllDup ;-)

So we need a new option like "Remove groups with all files that are hardlinks of each other" or "Remove all groups which contain only hardlinks to one file"
. Correctly formulated?
bmadtiger

Post by bmadtiger »

Fantastic - Probably the second suggestion would be better ("Remove all groups which contain only hardlinks to one file").

Thanks.
bmadtiger
airport1

Post by airport1 »

I installed the newest version.
I think formerly there was somewhere an option "ignore all hardlinks" which could be checked for the search.
Where is it now - was it removed? Why?
I used hardlinks a lot for hardlinking my best travel photos and excluding them for the next search.
Or I am blind and it is hidden somewhere now?

So I did a search on the forum and found this similar discussion, ok, it is another approach.
But that leads to a new suggestion:

How should we handle if we have file A, file B, C, all three hardlinked together, but file D is also a dup, and not hardlinked (yet).
Maybe we should say then A=B=C, we count/show it as 1 file only in the result list, because we found D to be a "new" duplicate.

Another idea I came across: what about an option like "compare files with different name only"? Ok, for the moment I have no idea what for, but I bet i will some day need it ;)
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

The option "ignore all hardlinks" was removed temporarly because of this problem.
With this option activated file D will never be found as a duplicate of the hard links A,B or C...

To solve this problem i have the follwoing ideas:

- dont do a content/hash/similar compare of hard linked files
- visualize the hard links at the search result with a different text color

with this you will get a group of A,B,C,D with comparing A,B,C and showing A,B,C with the a differentr text color than D.
airport1

Post by airport1 »

Ah, ok. I like the option "dont do a content/hash/similar compare of hard linked files" because:
it seems even when I switch on "retrieve count of hardlinks" (I don't mean the other option just called hardlinks) in the search options, and it finds hardlinks, (and should know then that the content is the same,) nevertheless it seems still to compare byte for byte.
My config was: compare byte by byte, first try to read a block from end of file.

I found a while ago a nice Windows Explorer integration, where you can even visually at the file listing which file is hardlinked. I think it was this one, but not sure if this one just creates hardlinks, or it really visualizes them, too: https://www.heise.de/download/product/l ... sion-39057

You really live in Thailand? Is is politically stable at the moment? Just asking because the beloved king died. Could any time switch to German ;)
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

currently there is no internal filter for hard linked files when using the content compare method, but this will be done in the future.

The Link Shell Extension "only" visualize the hard links at the windows explorer.
There is no complete list of all hard links.
You can use our other freeware GetFoldersize to get a complete list of all hard links on your hard disk.

At Thailand is everything normal.
Hot weather, yummy food and a lot of other goodies...
Usually you dont want go back to your home country if you living here for some time.