scheduler stopped working after automatic restart

English support for the software AllSync
mtn_roadie

scheduler stopped working after automatic restart

Post by mtn_roadie »

Hi Michael,

win2k server
allsync 2.2.21 business edition

I have the scheduler set to restart my server every Sunday when it's finished with it's back up routine. I'm not sure what happened, but last Suday the scheduler completed the back up routine and successfully restarted the server; however, the scheduler did not start up (I think).

I have 3 profiles that run via the service:
Mon, Wed, Fri
Tue, Thu, Sat
Sunday - restart

Here are the last few entries from the log:

Code: Select all

2/13/2005 4:46:18 AM - --------------------------------------------------
2/13/2005 4:46:18 AM - PROFILE-STATISTIC:
2/13/2005 4:46:18 AM - Elapsed time: 0:06:09
2/13/2005 4:46:18 AM - Files copied: 57
2/13/2005 4:46:18 AM - Files created: 456
2/13/2005 4:46:18 AM - Files deleted: 739
2/13/2005 4:46:18 AM - Data volume copied into the destination folders: 26,200.08 KB
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - SMTP: Email has been sent.
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - Copy operation complete.
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - INFO: 1 of 1 license(s) have been used since starting AllSync.
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - --------------------------------------------------
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - AllSync Scheduler service deactivated.
2/14/2005 11:16:03 AM - AllSync Scheduler 2.2.21 - Business Edition launched.
2/14/2005 11:18:10 AM - AllSync Scheduler 2.2.21 shut down.
2/21/2005 3:24:05 PM - AllSync Scheduler 2.2.21 - Business Edition launched.
As you can see, no profiles were run this past week after Allsync restarted the server. I just checked the service tool, and it says the service has started.

Last week was the first time I added the automatic restart to the Sunday profile. Any ideas on why Allsync successfully restarted the server on 2/13/2005 (sunday), but did not run any of the profiles after the restart?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: scheduler stopped working after automatic restart

Post by Administrator »

mtn_roadie wrote:Any ideas on why Allsync successfully restarted the server on 2/13/2005 (sunday), but did not run any of the profiles after the restart?
The scheduler was shut down at 2/14/2005 11:18:10 AM...no running scheduler no profile gets started.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:
mtn_roadie wrote:Any ideas on why Allsync successfully restarted the server on 2/13/2005 (sunday), but did not run any of the profiles after the restart?
The scheduler was shut down at 2/14/2005 11:18:10 AM...no running scheduler no profile gets started.
I understand that. My question is why the scheduler not starting back up when the server is restarted automatically by Allsync?

In other words, AllSync shut itself down prior to restarting the server, but did not start back up when the server restarted. Why?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Please check the last four rows of the log you posted:

1. 2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - the scheduler service was deactivated
2. 2/14/2005 11:16:03 AM - the scheduler (not the service) was launched
3. 2/14/2005 11:18:10 AM - the scheduler (not the service) was shut down
4. one week later the scheduler (not the service) was launched again.

after 1. there was no scheduler service lanched again. is the startup mode of the scheduler service not set to automatic?
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:Please check the last four rows of the log you posted:

1. 2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - the scheduler service was deactivated
2. 2/14/2005 11:16:03 AM - the scheduler (not the service) was launched
3. 2/14/2005 11:18:10 AM - the scheduler (not the service) was shut down
4. one week later the scheduler (not the service) was launched again.

after 1. there was no scheduler service lanched again. is the startup mode of the scheduler service not set to automatic?
The start up mode of the scheduler service is not set to automatic. You told me to turn it off since the scheduled profiles are using the service:
http://allsync.biz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77

My service tool is set to startup automatically and is running (at least that's what the service tool says when I open it).

I just checked my logs and no profiles were run last night even though they were scheduled. This is now becoming quite serious since Allsync is no longer running it's scheduled profiles and I'm having to run them manually.

Everything was running perfect until this last Sunday (a week ago) when Allsync automatically restarted the server; upon restart it no longer ran any of the scheduled profiles.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

The start up mode of the scheduler service is not set to automatic. You told me to turn it off since the scheduled profiles are using the service:
I didnt told you to turn off the startup mode from scheduler service. my citation: "please turn off autostart for the scheduler at the options."
My service tool is set to startup automatically and is running (at least that's what the service tool says when I open it).
the service tool is only usefull to install the scheduler as a service or check for the status of the scheduler service. the service tool doesnt start any profiles.

To start up your profiles automaticly you only have to start up automaticly the scheduler OR the service of the scheduler. if you are not familiar with windows services, please use the scheduler to start your profiles automaticly. turn on autostart for the scheduler at the scheduler options or set the start up mode to automatic for the service.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:
I didnt told you to turn off the startup mode from scheduler service. my citation: "please turn off autostart for the scheduler at the options."
Michael, you've really confused me then.

Is this not correct for my settings?
1. AllSync service tool is set to start up automatically.
2. AllSync scheduler does not have autostart selected.
Administrator wrote:
the service tool is only usefull to install the scheduler as a service or check for the status of the scheduler service. the service tool doesnt start any profiles.

To start up your profiles automaticly you only have to start up automaticly the scheduler OR the service of the scheduler. if you are not familiar with windows services, please use the scheduler to start your profiles automaticly. turn on autostart for the scheduler at the scheduler options or set the start up mode to automatic for the service.
I'm sorry, but I really do not understand. I do have the service tool set to start automatically; but the scheduler still is not responding.

This does not make sense. When I log into the system and manually restart the server, everything runs fine. When AllSync restarts the server, the scheudler no longer runs.

Please advise.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

1. uninstall the scheduler service with the service tool.
2. install the scheduler service with startup mode "automatic" with the service tool again
3. at the options of the scheduler deactivate the option "Automatically start and activate AllSync Scheduler when starting Windows"
4. if exists, delete any autostart links of the scheduler that you have created manually.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:1. uninstall the scheduler service with the service tool.
2. install the scheduler service with startup mode "automatic" with the service tool again
3. at the options of the scheduler deactivate the option "Automatically start and activate AllSync Scheduler when starting Windows"
4. if exists, delete any autostart links of the scheduler that you have created manually.
I've reset everything per the above; the configuration above is exactly the same as my previous configuration, though.

FWIW, there were no autostart links for the scheduler (item 4) nor was item 3 ever activated/selected.

The profiles ran as scheduled last night. We'll see what happens when AllSync restarts the server on Sunday :)
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Michael,

The problem appears to be persisting. When AllSync attempts to restart the server, it deactivates itself.

Here's the log from the last time AllSync tried to restart the server:

2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - SMTP: Email has been sent.
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - Copy operation complete.
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - INFO: 1 of 1 license(s) have been used since starting AllSync.
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - --------------------------------------------------
2/13/2005 4:46:28 AM - AllSync Scheduler service deactivated.
And here's the log from yesterday when AllSync tried to restart the server:

2/27/2005 4:52:42 AM - --------------------------------------------------
2/27/2005 4:52:53 AM - SMTP: Email has been sent.
2/27/2005 4:52:53 AM - Copy operation complete.
2/27/2005 4:52:53 AM - INFO: 1 of 1 license(s) have been used since starting AllSync.
2/27/2005 4:52:53 AM - --------------------------------------------------
2/27/2005 4:52:53 AM - AllSync Scheduler service deactivated.

In both cases, the restart failed and AllSync deactived the Scheduler Service leaving the entire back up system inactive.

The only thing I can think to do is to remove the action from AllSync that restarts the server since this appears to only deactivate itself and not restart the server.

Please advise.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

mtn_roadie wrote:When AllSync attempts to restart the server, it deactivates itself.
it seems that your user account from the scheduler service dont have enough rights to restart windows.

i have test the action "restart windows" with the scheduler service and it works well. user account: administrator, allsync 2.2.40 Beta
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:
mtn_roadie wrote:When AllSync attempts to restart the server, it deactivates itself.
it seems that your user account from the scheduler service dont have enough rights to restart windows.

i have test the action "restart windows" with the scheduler service and it works well. user account: administrator, allsync 2.2.40 Beta
The scheduler service has full administrative rights - it's the same account I use to log onto the server.

If I'm logged onto the server, AllSync will successfully restart.

Have you successfully tested the restart when you are *not* logged onto the server?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Have you successfully tested the restart when you are *not* logged onto the server?
No, didnt tested this. seems that windows cant be restart if no user is logged on.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:
No, didnt tested this. seems that windows cant be restart if no user is logged on.
Just to be clear, using the 'restart' option with a scheduled profile using the scheduler service will not work. Is that correct?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Just to be clear, using the 'restart' option with a scheduled profile using the scheduler service will not work. Is that correct?
Sorry, dont know, i never have tested this. Please send me your feedback if it works or not.