Is it possible restore search after it has ben stopped?

English support for the software AllDup
mczerski

Is it possible restore search after it has ben stopped?

Post by mczerski »

A have a huge collections of files sorted by folders to find duplicates. According to my attempts and experience with AllDup the search would last ca 60 hrs, which does not seem to be a reasonable period to occupy the computer with this job, considering at least that the deduplication process may be broken any time, when an other application halts the system or breaks requiring the restart of the computer. In such event, all the results of the search are lost.

I thought, but have not found any hint or solution, that it would be possible to stop search at some point, then – to save search results and when suitable time comes, to restore search results in order to have the search COMPLETED, rather than started from a new.

Another desired feature is an option that would allow to save partial results when the search is paused. It could prevent the complete loss of duplicate findings and search results found by your application until then.

Is it possible, or do the developers of this excellent application contemplate such option to be implemented rather soon than in "eternity"?

I will appreciate your advice and information how to bypass these limitations, if it is at all possible now or in the next AD version.

Regards
Marek
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible restore search after it has ben stopped?

Post by Administrator »

Sorry, a partial save of the search progress is not possible with the current search engine.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thank you for your reply. Is it likely that partial save along with an option to continue search based on saved search results, will be contemplated and implemented by you in the feature? I would be really great of you to extend the functionality of your application in this way :)
Rgds
Marek
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

No, that is very unlikely.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Too bad, but thank you for your reply.