Two questions as to search results updates/mergers?

English support for the software AllDup
hirszowski

Two questions as to search results updates/mergers?

Post by hirszowski »

Hi, first of all, thanks a lot for an excellent software. I’m really impressed with its design and concept – logical, comprehensive, user-friendly!

I am sorry, if my two questions occur absurdic in terms of programming and/or file management, but still I dare ask them hoping that some solution could be found to save my time.

My question comes from my experience with AllDup. I’ve got large archive discs and checed them with AllDup. The results have been saved and I am working on them when time permits. I marked a number files for deletion, but have not deleted them because I am still considering a redesign the system of my archives according to further AllDup findings.

In the meantime some changes (rather minor ones) to the archives have been made. Time needed to re-scan all the archive is really long and I would be most happy if it were possible to update the search results rather than re-scan all the archive from a new. A new scan also means that files marked for deletion in the old search result will have to be re-marked again which would be a tedious job to do.

And the other question: I have made and saved a number of search results from different discs. It took quite a time to scan each of them. Using AllDup each single archive is free from duplicates. Now, I need to check if there are no duplicates between those discs. I can hardly imagine how long it’ll take AllDup to scan such huge (1 – 3 Tb) discs and would be most happy if it were possible to merge these archives to compare their content and find duplicates between discs.

Thanks in advance for your kind reply and wish you a successful development of your projects.
Kind regards
Andy Hirszowski
Cracow, Poland
therube

Re: Two questions as to search results updates/mergers?

Post by therube »

I'm not aware that you can merge results, but when you can scan the two discs, you can enable:

.Source Folders
.Compare Method -> Compare only files between different source folders

and that should help, will make the scan more efficient.
hirszowski

Post by hirszowski »

Thank you therube for your reply. I have been aware of the option you advised, but for reasons put in my previous post I am looking for a better solutions, but nonetheless I do appreciate your answer. Unfortunately, it seems that the option(s) "of my dreams" is unavailable and I wonder if it is at all considered.
Best regards
Andy
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

...if it were possible to merge these archives to compare their content and find duplicates between discs
Your saved search results contains ONLY the duplicate files from one source.
If you want to find duplicate files between two sources you have to start a complete new search.