Feature Request - actions other than REMOVE

English support for the software AllDup
colinfoster

Feature Request - actions other than REMOVE

Post by colinfoster »

Can I suggest that some actions other than REMOVE be added to the operations that can be done on the results list?

In my particular case I can easily configure AllDup to find all files with a certain extension and automatically group them by name, however I don't want to remove the duplicates I actually want to create exact duplicates by copying the oldest/newest/selected over all the others in the group
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - actions other than REMOVE

Post by Administrator »

You select one file at a group and want to replace all other files at this group with the selected file?
colinfoster

Post by colinfoster »

Yes that is correct.
sdfgdhfgh

Post by sdfgdhfgh »

Why do you want to copy a file with content x over a file with the same content?
Do you want the other fields to have the same timestamp?
Or are you talking about hardlinks?
colinfoster

Post by colinfoster »

In general the contents of the file won't be identical. Normally I would want to select the most recent and "distribute" it to overwrite all identically named files in the folder structure. These are usually script files that exist in a lot of folders. Occasionally I update the master and I want to automatically update all the others. At the moment I have a Perl script to do this but AllDup would make a more generic solution.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Why dont you create a hard link of the master file at the place of all other files with AllDup?
This has the advantage that you never have to update all the files again!