English support for the software AllDup
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: AllDup 4 - Open Beta Test

Post by Administrator »

therube wrote:UI File Filter:
UI Folder Filter: (similarly)
but how do I Add a new filter?
You will find the context menu to add new filters/folders/profiles by pressing the button at the toolbar.
i added something new to teaching the user to find the context menu.
Now the the context menu of an button at the toolbar will open automatically after the user click the first time on the button.
The user will see the context menu, read the menu entries and next time he will know where it is.
This will hopefully avoid this question in the future :-)
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

(Heh, don't get me wrong, a great program :-). Thank you. I'll get to more when I've got some time...
Thank you very much for your feedback!

Waiting for more feedback from you and others...
therube

Post by therube »

AllDup, Vertical Scrollbar "blinker"
AllDup, Vertical Scrollbar "blinker"
AllDup-Blinker.gif (87.29 KiB) Viewed 84468 times
> Vertical Scroll-bar blink:

>> I cant reproduce this here (win7x64).

XP SP3, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (AGP) it says.
Will test on Win7, Intel HD4000 (or something like that) later.

Attached: animated GIF
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

therube wrote:Vertical Scroll-bar blink:
XP SP3, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (AGP) it says.
That happen only if you use the windows classic theme and its a windows feature to show the user when the scrollcontrol has the focus....
i found a way to deactivate the blinking after getting the focus.
problem solved!
Evds

Post by Evds »

Thx for the very nice and useful application !

1) Concerning the option "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files"
Which jpeg markers are being ignored if i check this option ?
I have files where the image data is the same but the iptc data was changed and alldup
didn't detect them as duplicate.

Would it be possible to change this option in "compare only the image data" or "ignore all metadata in jpeg files" ?
Because most catalog software will synchronize exif/iptc to xmp (changing iptc or exif implies that xmp will also change) and i
think that the reason for this option is to actually compare the image data itself and ignore all metadata.

2) "File size", "File content" and "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files"
If i want to compare a dir with a mix of files (jpeg and other file types) is it then safe to
check the option "File size" in combination with "File content" ?

I suppose that Alldup only compares a file "Byte by Byte" if the file size is the same (which will speedup the process a lot).
But in jpeg files the exif metadata can change in size; thus when the option "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files" is checked a jpeg
file can have a Byte by Byte duplicate with a different file size (because of the difference in size of het exif metadata).
In this case checking the option "File size" would have eliminated the other jpeg file already based on the file size.
Maybe Alldup can then check the size of the "jpeg image marker" to speed up the process and ignore the "file size" option in the case
of a jpeg file ?

2) What happens if i select "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files" and "First compare a data block at the file end " ?
Will Alldup make here also an exception for jpeg files when the option "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files" because the data block
at the end of the file could contain metadata which should be ignored.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Evds wrote:Concerning the option "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files"
Which jpeg markers are being ignored if i check this option ?
This option ignores all metadata and compares only the raw picture data.
AllDup starts comparing from the SOS marker (Start of Scan) to the EOI marker (End of Image) at the end of the file.
The next beta update will have a improved function with a better detection of the SOS marker.

general info:

the most apps will reencode the picture when you change/add/delete some of the exif metadata.
So its not possible to find a duplicate with the search criteria "file content" for this picture anymore.
is it then safe to check the option "File size" in combination with "File content" ?
The search criteria "File content" only compares files with the same size.
No need to activate the search criteria "File content".
Using the option "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files" changes internally the file size.
What happens if i select "Ignore Exif metadata of JPEG files" and "First compare a data block at the file end " ?
It will compare a data block at the end.
I cannot find any information at the exif specification about any metadata at the end of jpeg files: http://www.cipa.jp/std/documents/e/DC-008-2012_E.pdf
A jpeg file always ends with the EOI marker.
therube

Post by therube »

Scan:

Visual progress indicator much better, viewable & discoverable, in the window (AllDup 3) rather then in the frame [status bar] (Addup 4).
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

therube wrote:Visual progress indicator much better, viewable & discoverable, in the window (AllDup 3) rather then in the frame [status bar] (Addup 4).
You are right.
With the next update the progress indicator will be shown at the old position again!
Thx for your feedback!
therube

Post by therube »

4 is quite a bit slower to start up.

It looks like it enumerates drive (letters) on startup, where 3 opens immediately, with "whatever was there".

And the way it looks is that it must store user added directories (of course), displays those, then goes out & querries for whatever drive (letters) may exist, then populates those. And that part is quite slow.

There should at the least be an option to not scan drives.
I know one of my drives is "suspect", has issues, so even if the scan were fast for all other drives, it would likely slow down again when it hits my "bad" drive.
Not sure offhand if opening AllDup would cause a sleeping drive to awaken?

This slowness becomes even more apparent when starting alldup via command-line.

> c:\alldup_commandline\alldupportable c:\tmp\sea\

And I like starting from command line, to scan particular, singular tree, for the very fact that there is relatively little overhead in startup (with AllDup 3). Gives me a quality, fully featured program, that you can open & run in a flash, versus a "heavy" program, that while may work fine, is just too cumbersome to do a quick, down & dirty dup scan.
Last edited by therube on 30 Sep 2015, 02:01, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Post by therube »

Administrator wrote:
therube wrote:XP, 391Beta Portable
Detect only duplicates from different source folders:
Option is missing?
Please use the new option:

NEW: Search Result / Menu Bar / Remove: Added "Remove all groups where the files not exist at all source folders".
I understand why you've done that (at least partially because of, Different Source-Folder Option is Inefficient), I'm just finding it odd-ish [is that a word ;-)] to have to remove them after the scan has completed.

Suppose its more a matter of being familiar with where you enforce such an option; before scanning or after, & once you realize, it shouldn't be an issue.

PS:
"Remove all groups where the files not exist at all source folders"
Wording is awkward (at least in English), & doesn't really convey (at least to me) what will happen if you select that.
Last edited by therube on 30 Sep 2015, 02:08, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Post by therube »

Filters.

Enabling/disabling Filters is a one at a time deal.
Much less that you cannot use a filter "family".

So while you can add *.arj AND *.rar AND *.zip, you cannot do something like *.arj;*.rar;*.zip.

Much less something like:

Code: Select all

Audio: ext:aac;ac3;aif;aifc;aiff;au;cda;dts;fla;flac;it;m1a;m2a;m3u;m4a;mid;midi;mka;mod;mp2;mp3;mpa;ogg;ra;rmi;spc;rmi;snd;umx;voc;wav;wma;xm

Compressed: ext:7z;ace;arj;bz2;cab;gz;gzip;r00;r01;r02;r03;r04;r05;r06;r07;r08;r09;r10;r11;r12;r13;r14;r15;r16;r17;r18;r19;r20;r21;r22;r23;r24;r25;r26;r27;r28;r29;rar;tar;tgz;z;zip

Document:
ext:c;chm;cpp;csv;cxx;doc;docm;docx;dot;dotm;dotx;h;hpp;htm;html;hxx;ini;java;js;lua;mht;mhtml;odt;pdf;potx;potm;ppam;ppsm;ppsx;pps;ppt;pptm;pptx;rtf;sldm;sldx;thmx;txt;vsd;wpd;wps;wri;xlam;xls;xlsb;xlsm;xlsx;xltm;xltx;xml

therube

Post by therube »

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

therube wrote:"Remove all groups where the files not exist at all source folders"
Wording is awkward (at least in English), & doesn't really convey (at least to me) what will happen if you select that.
Ok, i understand, we have to find a better description for that function.
Im not a native english speaker so i hope someone will be so nice and recheck the translation for spelling problems.

Here is my explanation for this function:

You search e.g. 3 source folders for duplicate files.
This function will remove now all files from the search result which doesnt have a duplicate at all of the 3 source folders.

Any suggestions for a better description?

Its also possible to add this option to the search options at the main window so it runs automatically after the scan.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

therube wrote:Filters. Enabling/disabling Filters is a one at a time deal.
Much less that you cannot use a filter "family".
I dont want to revamp the complete filter GUI but i think we can extend it and allow a special separator for each filter text so you can provide more than one filter: *.jpg|*.bmp|*.png

Will this be ok for you?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

therube wrote:4 is quite a bit slower to start up.
Do you use the latest beta version?

I also have some mapped network drives here and if the computer of the network source is offline AllDup still scans all drive letters very fast without a network-timeout-delay.

Is your "bad" drive connected with a network computer?