Comparison Methods

English support for the software AllDup
jackpots

Comparison Methods

Post by jackpots »

Hello and thanks for you product.

How are the files compared for duplicity? That is, is it by size > crc hash > full byte to byte, or by some other means.

I need to know to determine my level of confidence in the output. Thanks again.
Last edited by jackpots on 04 Feb 2011, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Comparison Methods

Post by Administrator »

The content of a file will be verified byte by byte.
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

Thanks.

You should state so in your product descriptions - it makes a world of difference.

Also, I left a small positive review today at Softpedia, where I discovered AllDup. However, it might be held a bit while being moderated.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Thanks for the hint! I have added "File Content (byte by byte compare)" to the help file and web site.
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

A follow-up question...

Does AllDup compare the full content of all files regardless of the file's size? Or, is it as "Compare Method" suggests that only a maximum of 9,999,999 bytes of each file are compared.

Please tell me otherwise. But if this is so, and if AllDup is still an active project, will you add that option.

Thanks.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

AllDup compares only files with the same size. AllDup compares the complete content of both files if no difference is found. Everything else does not make sense (IMHO).
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

I thought so, however, the read buffer settings under Compare Methods casted some doubt. Thanks.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

The read buffer helps to detect content changes at the beginning of a file without reading a big data packet into the memory. Lets say you start with 10.000 bytes and the first 10 bytes of the two file are different. AllDup only have to read 2x 10.000 bytes to detect the difference.
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

Understood.

Side note:
Some suggest that reading the end of the file may be even faster in determining content difference. That is, read a small block end first, determine difference, then start at top with the compare. I have not tested this but it seems plausible.
Last edited by jackpots on 04 Feb 2011, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

jackpots wrote:Some suggest that reading the end of the file may be even faster in determining content difference.
Yes, this could speed up the file compare. I note this on the ToDo-List!
happyuser

Post by happyuser »

Hello,

I have a suggestion regarding the comparison methods.

I understand that byte by byte comparison is most secure but it is very inefficient for archives.

That's why I suggest including CRC32 as search criteria, which can be determined for the archived files without extracting them. Although there are collisions for CRC32 it is very unlikely to have 2 files with same size and same CRC32. For the uncompressed files CRC32 can be calculated only for the files that have matching size with other files. This should be the fastest possible comparison when scan the contents of archive files option is enabled. It will also allow comparing encrypted archives in which the metadata is not encrypted.

You can allow selecting both CRC32 and Content so if CRC32 matches it will also do byte by byte comparison.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

ok, i understand. Using the existing crc32 value from inside the zip and rar files for comparing. I note this on the ToDo-List.