Content of Excel files is not identical

English support for the software AllSync
Drdul

Content of Excel files is not identical

Post by Drdul »

I have encountered an unexpected situation using the "overwrite file if the content or the size of the files is different" feature with a 1:1 copy operation. I am using beta version 2.2.46.

Any Excel file which I have opened but not edited is identified by AllSync as "the content is not identical," even though I did not make any changes to the file and did not re-save it when I opened it. AllSync then copies the file to the destination folder even though the file hasn't really changed.

I suspect that Excel (the version I am using is Excel 2002) is modifying the "last accessed" date/time of the file, and that this is being interpreted by AllSync as meaning that the content has changed. Is there a way to adjust how AllSync looks for changed content to avoid this issue with Excel files?

Thanks!
Richard Drdul
Vancouver, BC
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Content of Excel files is not identical

Post by Administrator »

I have opened a Excel file and Excel sets the timestamp "last modified" to the current time. after closing the file Excel sets back the old timestamp. At this moment i dont have a solution for this problem. We need a new Rule for Overwriting Files like "Overwrite file if the date/time AND the filesize of the files is different".
Drdul

Post by Drdul »

Hopefully Excel's poor behaviour has been corrected in newer versions. :? I would suggest that you not do anything about it. It doesn't cause any harm for me if Excel backs up files that haven't changed, so it's a problem that doesn't really need to be fixed. Unfortunately, any solution to the problem with Excel files could cause problems for other file types.

Cheers!
Richard Drdul
Vancouver, BC
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Drdul wrote:any solution to the problem with Excel files could cause problems for other file types.
Your are right. If you sync also other file types this could be a problem.