Do results show duplicates ONLY, or ALL files with same name

English support for the software AllDup
andante147

Do results show duplicates ONLY, or ALL files with same name

Post by andante147 »

I have LOTS of duplicates, and I've run the scan and would like to delete all but the newest version of the dupes.

I'm just not sure - does the results list include the original file and the redundant file? If I select all and delete will I have deleted the originals too? I have about 500GB of duplicates showing on the report (which is possible... old data combined with new drives, etc.)

I hope I don't have to go through every file and choose one. Yikes!

Seems like a dumb question, but an important one!

Thanks
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Do results show duplicates ONLY, or ALL files with same

Post by Administrator »

AllDup always shows ALL duplicates. How should AllDup know what duplicate file is the original? ;-)
tws54

Re: Do results show duplicates ONLY, or ALL files with same

Post by tws54 »

Administrator wrote:AllDup always shows ALL duplicates. How should AllDup know what duplicate file is the original? ;-)
Yes AllDup can't know what the "original" file is but I don't think andante147 actually meant. Depending on the search criteria, if only Name and Extension were selected all files wouldn't necessarily be identical which is what I think he he meant.

More importantly to answer his question.
andante147 wrote:If I select all and delete will I have deleted the originals too?
The answer would be you will delete ALL files.

As far as;
andante147 wrote: I hope I don't have to go through every file and choose one. Yikes!
Use the one of the selection criteria like "Select all file except the newest file" in the search results window to multiple files at once.

andante147, Whatever you do make sure you back it up. There are many useful option in AllDup's file deletion manager to save, move, and rename the files you have selected.

Does that clear things up?