Tooltips Need a Delay

English support for the software AllDup
Synetech

Tooltips Need a Delay

Post by Synetech »

I finally (:oops:) figured out how to use the File preview function (the command is in the Search Result menu; I guess I was looking for an option in the context-menu when clicking on files). The file preview is wonderful and really helps when weeding out picture files. 8)

The problem is that when you use the file-preview, it reduces the amount of space in the window, which means that the columns are smaller than usual. This becomes a problem when trying to click on an item because as soon as the mouse is over an item that cannot be displayed completely, a tooltip pops up over the item, so when you click, the tooltip gets clicked instead, and you have to (double-)click a bunch of times, wait until the tooltip goes away, or try to aim for the tiny area of the item around the tooltip.

This can be easily fixed by setting a tooltip delay to have tooltips wait a moment or two before being displayed. Windows defaults to a delay of about two seconds before displaying tooltip in Explorer (can be configured), so most people are used to and comfortable with that. That way, the tooltip does not pop up immediately, giving the user a chance to click the item, but they also won’t have to wait too long to see it either.

Here is some sample code with common and reasonable values for comfortable tooltip usage:

Code: Select all

TTip.InitialDelay = 1500 ' msecs before showing a tooltip
TTip.ReshowDelay  = 100  ' msecs before showing a tooltip for another item
TTip.AutoPopDelay = 5000 ' msecs to display before automatically removing it
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Tooltips Need a Delay

Post by Administrator »

Thanks again for the feedback. I have set the delay to 1000ms. Feels better now :-)