separate gui thread and other requests

English support for the software AllDup
kyks17

separate gui thread and other requests

Post by kyks17 »

first, really great app. this is the 12th or so duplicate file finder app ive used, and it is by far the best.

a couple more things would make it truly awesome.

1) it looks like you're not using a separate gui thread - the screen never updates what file it is working on except for rare occasions, and it always says the program is "Not Responding". it would be really valuable to have accurate information on what it is doing. the top half of the scanning screen (with the progress bar, duration, and current file count etc) never does update at all - i would love to have that info too.

2) ability to search *only* by mp3 tags. i first got your program when looking for an app that would let me search and ignore my mp3 tags, since i was comparing freshly tagged versions to old ones, but i still need to use another app when i want to search only by mp3 tags.

3) the other feature i need another app for is to search by a % match instead of a full match. there is a program called anti-twin which lets you specify a % of the filename to match on, as well as a % of the byte-to-byte comparison to match on. those were hugely helpful for me, so if you could add them to AllDup it would be a huge step

4) the work i was doing when i found this app was trying to reconcile a folder diff that had gotten very out of sync. i had lots of the same files but the locations were all different in my source location than my target location. i had to manually track down the file on the source with the duplicate file on the target, so if there was an option to select files and then have it copy them over with the same file hierarchy to a target directory of choice, that would be completely amazing!!! i spent over 20 hours manually matching up the file pairs to reconcile the folder diff.

thanks again for such an awesome app!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: separate gui thread and other requests

Post by Administrator »

1. I can't reproduce this behavior. What search criteria and options do you use?

2+4. Sorry, this will not be possible with AllDup.

3. This is not possible with the current search engine.