English support for the software AllSync
mtn_roadie

Unable to include a new folder to an existing backup set

Post by mtn_roadie »

General Info:
Win7 x64 16GB RAM
AllSync 3.4.62 Business Edition

Drive Info:
Drive D: 7200 RPM 750GB Samsung (435 GB Free)
Drive X: 5400 RPM 1.5TB Samsung (390 GB Free)

Profile Properties:
Copy Mode:
- Backup, 3 generations
- Transfer old items to the new backup
- Create source folder in destination folder (using the last folder name in the source folder path)
Copy Method: B
Copy Attempts: 3 w/ 5 second interval

I've been running the same backup for quite some time now (year or two) and have recently added a folder the profile, i.e.,

source before:
d:\data
d:\shared
d:\www

destination before:
X:\AllSyncBackup\Data

source after:
d:\_temp
d:\data
d:\shared
d:\www

destination after (no change):
X:\AllSyncBackup\Data

Now, when I run the profile, I get the following error:

Error

Code: Select all

2010/12/28 08:34:46  The old backup items of 'X:\AllSyncBackup\Data\2010-12-28 at 08.18.04' have been successfully transferred to the new backup folder 'X:\AllSyncBackup\Data\2010-12-28 at 08.34.45'.
2010/12/28 08:34:46  Processing source -->> destination
2010/12/28 08:34:46  ERROR: #3 - The system cannot find the path specified. (D:\_temp\6891387258284888.pdf -->> X:\AllSyncBackup\Data\2010-12-28 at 08.34.45\_temp)
Of Note
  • If the new "_temp" folder is removed from the profile, then the backup runs fine.
  • If the new "_temp" folder is included in the profile, Allsync always throws the above error.
  • I've deleted and re-created the profile. However, the same error occurs whenever the new "_temp" folder is included in the profile, i.e., . Allsync is unable to create the new folder "_temp" in the destination directory.
  • Allsync runs perfect, without error (moving, creating, deleting files and folders) when the new folder "_temp" is excluded.
  • If the destination directory is changed to a new directory, then the profile runs fine.
  • I've tried resetting all permissions on the directory, same error.
  • I'm an administrator on the system, and have run Allsync "as administrator", but same error occurs.
Test
I created a new backup set (same properties as above) with a set of test source folders and a test destination directory. I ran the backup and created 3 generations. Then added a new folder to the source folders; the same error occurred.

Conclusion
Allsync is unable to add a new folder to an existing backup set when the option "Transfer old items to the new backup" is used.

Any ideas?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Unable to include a new folder to an existing backup set

Post by Administrator »

Does the path "X:\AllSyncBackup\Data\2010-12-28 at 08.34.45\_temp" exist?

Im not really sure, but the error message "ERROR: #3 - The system cannot find the path specified." means the file "D:\_temp\6891387258284888.pdf" cannot be found. Did u ever try to add another source path to the profile? maybe "D:\Test" with some files inside.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:Does the path "X:\AllSyncBackup\Data\2010-12-28 at 08.34.45\_temp" exist?
No, the _temp folder does not exist. The new folder "_temp" should be created by Allsync since it was a newly added folder to the profile. I shouldn't have to go into a backup set and manually create the folder.
Administrator wrote: Im not really sure, but the error message "ERROR: #3 - The system cannot find the path specified." means the file "D:\_temp\6891387258284888.pdf" cannot be found. Did u ever try to add another source path to the profile? maybe "D:\Test" with some files inside.
That is the problem... re: adding another folder to the source path of an existing profile causes Allsync to throw the error.

See my Test above, i.e., create a back up profile with 3 backup sets and use the option "Transfer old items to the new backup". Run the profile 3 times so your backups exist. Then add a new folder to the source folders... Allsync will throw the error that the new folder path is not found.

In other words, Allsync is not able to create a new folder to the root of an existing backup set.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

ok, i will check/test your problem and give u feedback tomorrow. Maybe we can reproduce the problem.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

We run many tests with your settings and we cant reproduce this problem. The copy operation work fine after adding a 4. folder to the source folder list.

How about you try another 4. folder? Maybe "D:\Test"? Does this work without problems?
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

I can reproduce this bug 100% of the time. After additional testing, the folder you add must be at the top of the folder list (just as I listed in my original post), i.e.,

source before:
1. d:\data
2. d:\shared
3. d:\www

fails - source after:
1. d:\_temp
2. d:\data
3. d:\shared
4. d:\www

success - source after:
1. d:\data
2. d:\shared
3. d:\www
4. d:\_temp

Can you test again and see if you have the same results?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

At our tests with added the 4. folder only on the top of the folder list as per description at your first posting.

What about my suggestion:
How about you try another 4. folder at the 1. row of the folder list? Maybe "D:\Test"? Does this work without problems?
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:At our tests with added the 4. folder only on the top of the folder list as per description at your first posting.

What about my suggestion:
How about you try another 4. folder at the 1. row of the folder list? Maybe "D:\Test"? Does this work without problems?
Yes, I have tried that. Same error.

The name of the folder doesn't matter. I can create a new folder and add it to the top of the list or use an existing folder or rename a folder (even to D:\Test), the error *always* occurs if the folder is at the top of the list.

I created several test profiles with various directories and the error always occurs.

I've tried using various back up destination directories and the error always occurs.

Maybe this is a Win7 x64 issue?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

I run the same test again on windows 7 x64 without any problems after adding a 4. folder to the top of the source folder list. Please can you send me your profile file (*.pas). I want to try another test with your settings.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

I've sent you the profiles via email. Please let me know if you need anything else.