Profile Won't Run In Scheduler

English support for the software AllSync
Drdul

Profile Won't Run In Scheduler

Post by Drdul »

I'm trying out AllSync and am very impressed. So far it's the only program I have found that offers proper synchronization (i.e. a file deleted in one folder is not recreated) while also being easy to use.

The only glitch I have encountered so far is that I cannot get my test profile to run automatically under the AllSync Scheduler. It runs fine from AllSync, and I can run it manually in the Scheduler by clicking the "Start profile" button. But when the time comes for it to run automatically, nothing happens.

I have set the profile to run at an interval every 15 minutes with a tolerance of 5 minutes, with start and end times of 12:00:00 AM. When the 15 minutes elapses and it is time for the profile to run, all that happens is that "Now" appears in the "Next Start" column of the Scheduler window for about 5 minutes. Nothing shows up in the log — no activity whatsoever. After 5 minutes, the Scheduler gives up and displays the next start time (15 minutes after the start time that just passed) in the"Next Start" column, and does not display a time in the "Last Started" column. Running the profile manually takes about 7 or 8 seconds, so I can't imagine why the Scheduler chokes on it for 5 minutes and then gives up.

Also, while we're on the topic of scheduling profiles, how does the "Start the profile only if the following folder is available" feature work? I couldn't find anything about this in the documentation. This looks like a feature I would want to use, as my test profile involves synching IE favorites between two computers on my network. If the other computer is turned off, I am assuming that AllSync will determine that the folder is not available, and won't bother starting the profile.

Thanks in advance!
Richard Drdul
Vancouver, BC
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Profile Won't Run In Scheduler

Post by Administrator »

Drdul wrote:But when the time comes for it to run automatically, nothing happens.
Did you forgot to activate the scheduler?
Also, while we're on the topic of scheduling profiles, how does the "Start the profile only if the following folder is available" feature work?

example: if u set the profile to start at 12:00 AM and the folder is not available at this time, no profile will be started. thats all.

The next translation of the documentation from german to english comes soon. We work on a new release with many new features and improvements.
Drdul

Post by Drdul »

My mistake! I had not realized that the Scheduler needs to be activated. The profile now runs automatically. Thank you for pointing that out.

However, I get an error message when I run the profile and the other computer is turned off, even though I have selected the "Start the profile only if the following folder is available" option. The error message says "The destination folder couldn't be found: (#53 - The network path was not found.)" Before that in the log it says "Copy operation started," which indicates that AllSync is starting the prfile, even though I have selected the "Start the profile only if the following folder is available" option. Is this working correctly? I would prefer not to receive an error message when I have selected the "Start the profile only if the following folder is available" option and a network resource is not available.

Thanks!
Richard Drdul
Vancouver, BC
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

the message "Copy operation started" and "The destination folder couldn't be found: (#53 - The network path was not found.)" appears only when the task is started (after the internal check for the folder)

looks like the option "Start the profile only if the following folder is available" is not activated for this task or the folder was available at the internal folder check....
Drdul

Post by Drdul »

Well, I had to reboot the computer, and now the profile and Scheduler are working as they should. It would appear that the change to the profile (adding the "Start the profile only if the following folder is available" option) doesn't take effect until the next time the Scheduler is "rebooted" (it's not enough just to deactivate and then reactivate the Scheduler — it actually has to be closed and then re-started).

Anyway, now I'm a very happy guy! AllSync does eveything I need it to do, and consequently it is the best of the several backup/synchronize programs that I have tried. I will definitely be buying a licence (I just have to decide which one — Pro or Business).

Cheers!
Richard Drdul
Vancouver, BC
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Drdul wrote:Well, I had to reboot the computer, and now the profile and Scheduler are working as they should.
The AllSync Scheduler (current beta release) has been completely revamped and is now based on tasks. Several profiles can now be started via a task. And you dont have to reboot the scheduler.[/quote]
Drdul

Post by Drdul »

Thank you for the response! It sounds like I should switch to the beta. Will the new scheduler import the profiles I have already created?
Richard Drdul
Vancouver, BC
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Drdul wrote:Will the new scheduler import the profiles I have already created?
Yes, of course.