Alldup 3.1 portable creates temp file

English support for the software AllDup
alldupuser

Alldup 3.1 portable creates temp file

Post by alldupuser »

Tried Alldup 3.1 portable version, excellent and FAST tool! However, I noticed that every time the application is opened and closed, regardless of if a search is performed, a .tmp binary file of about 240k in size is created in root/user/appdata/local/temp. This is on a Windows 7 32-bit system. Being the portable version, should it be doing this, and is there a way it can delete the .tmp file itself upon exit? Thank you for your attention and for making the product freeware.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Alldup 3.1 portable creates temp file

Post by Administrator »

I can reproduce this behavior. The windows system creates this temp file automatically when using the Microsoft ImageList control. Sorry, there is no option to avoid this temp file. But here the temp file will be deleted automatically after closing AllDup.
alldupuser

Post by alldupuser »

Thanks for the fast reply! I don't know why the temp file is not automatically deleted when portable version Alldup closes, as it does on your system, but perhaps you have a different operating system, I use Windows 7 Professional x86. No big deal at any rate.

I hope you will continue to maintain/develop this project. I ran a test today and compared Alldup using byte-for-byte mode against another freeware that uses MD5 only (after locating same file sizes), searching a database with literally thousands of files. Alldup took HALF the amount of time to finish than the competitor! So much for MD5 being "faster". I think your technique of comparing an end block first must make a huge difference in search time. Does Alldup take advantage of multi-threading also?

Thanks again for such an excellent application, and for using byte-for-byte comparison technique.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Ive done a test with Win7 too. When installing AllDup, the temp file will be deleted after closing AllDup. After closing the portable version the temp file will not deleted. Maybe in the future its possible to replace the ImageList control from Microsoft and avoid this temp file.
I hope you will continue to maintain/develop this project.
A new version with new features will be released soon:

NEW: Search Criteria: Added the option "Ignore the following characters when comparing the file name".
NEW: Search Options: Now you can scan archive files with the format ZIP and RAR.
NEW: Search Options: Addd the option "Show file attributes at the search result (slower)".
NEW: Search Result: Now you can hide columns which are not needed.
UPD: Search Result: Now the file name and file path will be displayed in separate columns.
FIX: Various optimizations have been introduced in various sections of AllDup. Various bugs have been fixed.

Drop me a message if u wanna test a stable beta version.
Does Alldup take advantage of multi-threading also?
No.