Feature Suggestion

English support for the software AllDup
jackpots

Feature Suggestion

Post by jackpots »

I think folks use products like AllDup for two similar but separate reasons:

1. finding files with identical content (a/o metadata) in a single directory.

2. finding files with identical content (a/o metadata) in a target directory(s) compared to a reference directory. That is, the user is not necessarily concerned with duplicates in each which is covered with 1 above, but copies of files in the reference that exist in the target.

So far I have been able to accomplish most scenarios with AllDup because of its many primary functions. So I: sort > mark some > sort another way > unmark some more, to get things done. Will you implement such a feature to cover 2: Mark duplicates to reference directory. It should be in the Marking phase and allow for direct input of the directory and not path of an existing found duplicate file.

Alternatively, it could be implemented as "Mark duplicates of already marked files in list" as opposed to "Mark inverse of entire list."

Thanks.
Last edited by jackpots on 04 Feb 2011, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Feature Suggestion

Post by Administrator »

2.:

Just use "Remove all files from the report with the following source folder:" to remove all duplicate files from a refrence directory. See menu bar -> remove.
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

Your suggestion did not solve that problem.

To state differently, assume there are three directories with files:
[reference] 1 2 3 4 4x 5 5y 6
[suspect 1] 2 4x 4y 7 8 9 9x 9y
[suspect 2] 3 3x 6 7 9 9x 9y

now multiply this by hundreds.

The intent is to remove the duplicates of [reference] that exist in [suspect 1] and [suspect 2]. Therefore, to mark and delete 2, 4x, 4y in [suspect 1] and 3, 3x and 6 in [suspect 2]. That's it. Your suggestion seems only to remove files in [reference] so that they are preserved. What is needed is only the dupes of [reference] to remain or marked.
Last edited by jackpots on 04 Feb 2011, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

I will add your suggestion to our ToDo-List. How sounds a option like "Select all duplicates of files from the folder: ..."?
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

Sounds good.

It should be a directly editable, a textbox, popup (maybe), where the user can input the desired path. The field can be automatically populated based on the currently selected duplicate in the results list.

I think this feature will create better diversity with your product peers.