Vista SP1, x32, Application Data folder recursion madness

English support for the software AllSync
ZeBoxx

Vista SP1, x32, Application Data folder recursion madness

Post by ZeBoxx »

I'm currently evaluating backup software and AllSync is one of the top candidates (despite having its primary role as a sync app).

However, I'm running into a problem.

A regular backup without any zip compression finished just fine - however I'm now trying one -with- zip compression (creating 500MB chunks) to see how that part performs, and it appears AllSync is stuck processing a folder that has a few thousand files in it, generating an error on each one.

The error code is "328 - A file was skipped because its resulting filename on disk would exceed 260 characters". Now, before you point me to this thread...
http://allsync.biz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=965
...I fully understand the ZIP limit*. However, here's the thing. The path that it is trying to process is bunk. Specifically, the path it is processing is:
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Documents\fw2\"

For some reason, it's not realizing that it shouldn't keep recursing into that folder, even though "Don't search folders (NTFS junction points) that point to the contents of another folder" is checked in the Copy Rules options.

I can't stop the Copy process - I clicked the stop button, but nothing happens - and I can't be bothered to wait for it to 'finish' or finally stop either, as it does at most 2-3 files per second and there are, quite literally, thousands of files in that folder, so I have to kill the process via task manager.

I am running...
AllSync 3.1.1 - Professional Edition - DEMO VERSION
with
'Run as Administrator' explicitly via the windows vista context menu for the application shortcut (as otherwise it won't back up e.g. program files data).

Any thoughts as to what might be going on there? Thanks in advance!

* on the ZIP limit.. I do have "Save file name only" set, after I erroneously thought it really was trying to process a long path - but I'm not too sure how the "Save file name only" option works either.. if two files have the same filename, then surely you can't store them as just the filenames in the ZIP?
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Vista SP1, x32, Application Data folder recursion madnes

Post by Administrator »

We could reproduce this problem on our vista systems. We try to fix the problem with the symbolic link folders but its not possible. We have send a support email to the third party company that develops the zip control we use with AllSync and wait for feedback now. As we read at the forum of this company they know about this problem and they said that they want to provide a solution that makes it possible to exlcude such special folders.

The problem with the stop button is fixed now. If you need this fix now please send me an email for an update.
ZeBoxx

Post by ZeBoxx »

Thanks for the reply - glad you could reproduce it :)

I don't need a fix right now, but it's good to know that if/when I decide to use AllSync, the problem is likely to be fixed - top support :)

Thanks again!
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Here you can check out our support question:

http://xceed.com/CS/forums/18286/ShowThread.aspx#18286