1:1 copy vs. Backup

English support for the software AllSync
mtn_roadie

1:1 copy vs. Backup

Post by mtn_roadie »

Is it correct to say that the Backup operation is the same as the 1:1 copy operation; but that the Backup operation provides some additional adavanced functionality?

I'm asking as I'm in the process of re-creating my profiles I use for backing everything up. Here's what I'm trying to achieve:
1. Full daily backups for each day of the week.
2. 1 full backup every Sunday.
3. 1 full backup once a Month.

My thought for the daily backups is to use the Backup operation (not 1:1) and set the backup option to have a maximum of 7 backups created. This should provide me one complete backup for each day of the week. And then just use a similar profile for the weekly and monthly backups.

Does that sound about right? Or should I be looking at using the 1:1 copy operation?

And to clarify, when do you recommend using the 1:1 copy operation and when do you recommend using the Backup operation?

Thanks!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: 1:1 copy vs. Backup

Post by Administrator »

mtn_roadie wrote:Is it correct to say that the Backup operation is the same as the 1:1 copy operation; but that the Backup operation provides some additional adavanced functionality?
Yes, with the copy mode "1:1 copy" you can mirror/duplicate your data to a second folder (only). With the copy mode "backup" you can mirror/duplicate your data to many folders and keep old backups. Optional you can compress the destination data, specify the maximum number of backups in the destination folder and much more.
For this you must use the copy mode "backup".
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:
For this you must use the copy mode "backup".
What would be your recommendation for creating such a scenario? Would I need 3 profiles here? Or could I use one and have variations of a shortcut link?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

You need 3 profiles for this scenario if AllSync should manage the backup generations. If you manage the backup generations yourself only one profile with a full backup is needed.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Thanks Michael! As always, you're very helpful.

Kindler Chase
www.nCubed.com