cannot access the file because it is being used by another p

English support for the software AllSync
OlegV

cannot access the file because it is being used by another p

Post by OlegV »

During the scheduled sync procedure, I got an error message (below).

1. Am I correct in understanding that the problem lies on the destination computer?

2. Considering that the application that is associated with this files is not un use on source or destination at the time of back up procedure, I do not know why these files would be in use. Is there any software that you can recommend that would analyze the files currently in use and tell me what is using these? Also is there way to restart a computer BEFORE running the AllSync application? Is there something else I can do to prevent this problem from happening, and to ensure that the automated back up procedure goes on as scheduled and STAYS AUTOMATED, without me manually adjusting anything every time before back up and be certain of reliability of the procedure?

ERROR DESCRIPTION:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - ==================================================
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - Task 'Backup Skyline Data from OFFICE to HOME' started
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - ==================================================
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - PROFILE: Backup Skyline Data from OFFICE to HOME
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - COPY MODE: User-defined copy
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - --------------------------------------------------
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - SOURCE: F:\SKYLINE\
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - DESTINATION: C:\SKYLINE\
11/6/2005 1:00:01 AM - Editing source --> destination
11/6/2005 1:00:15 AM - ERROR: Error while moving file 'C:\SKYLINE\DATA\Ardetail' to the Recycle Bin.
11/6/2005 1:00:25 AM - ERROR: CopyFile2: CreateFile: #32 - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (F:\SKYLINE\DATA\Ardetail -> C:\SKYLINE\DATA\Ardetail)
11/6/2005 1:00:45 AM - ERROR: Error while moving file 'C:\SKYLINE\DATA\GLINTER' to the Recycle Bin.
11/6/2005 1:00:46 AM - ERROR: CopyFile2: CreateFile: #32 - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (F:\SKYLINE\DATA\GLINTER -> C:\SKYLINE\DATA\GLINTER)
11/6/2005 1:00:53 AM - ERROR: Error while moving file 'C:\SKYLINE\DATA\OCCUPANT' to the Recycle Bin.
11/6/2005 1:00:54 AM - ERROR: CopyFile2: CreateFile: #32 - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (F:\SKYLINE\DATA\OCCUPANT -> C:\SKYLINE\DATA\OCCUPANT)
11/6/2005 1:01:06 AM - ERROR: Error while moving file 'C:\SKYLINE\DATA\TRAN' to the Recycle Bin.
11/6/2005 1:01:06 AM - ERROR: CopyFile2: CreateFile: #32 - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (F:\SKYLINE\DATA\TRAN -> C:\SKYLINE\DATA\TRAN)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oleg Vishnevetski
OlegV

no response

Post by OlegV »

please try answering these questions
Oleg Vishnevetski
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: cannot access the file because it is being used by anoth

Post by Administrator »

Sorry for the late response. After updating the web forum to a newer version the message notifier doesnt worked correct.
Am I correct in understanding that the problem lies on the destination computer?
Yes, the destination file is locked for write access by any processes.
Is there any software that you can recommend that would analyze the files currently in use and tell me what is using these?

The freeware tool "Handle" from SysInternals: http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/handle.html
Also is there way to restart a computer BEFORE running the AllSync application?
You want to restart the destination computer on the network?
Is there something else I can do to prevent this problem from happening
If a file has been locked by another application or the system for write access there is nothing you can do. Only the app that locked the file can release the lock.
OlegV

Post by OlegV »

Q: Also is there way to restart a computer BEFORE running the AllSync application?

A: You want to restart the destination computer on the network?

Q: I want to be able to restart the destination computer. This is a computer on which the AllSync is installed. There some other applications that I know of that would allow you to retsart the computer BEFORE they are run. They will run DURING or AFTER the restart.

Is there such feature in AlSync? Can you add it in the new realese? Can it be incorporated in the sceduler?
Oleg Vishnevetski
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Is there such feature in AlSync?
No.
Can you add it in the new realese?
Yes, i add your suggestion on the ToDo-List.
Can it be incorporated in the sceduler?
Yes, the new option will be placed at the task options and requires windows auto-logon and scheduler autostart.
OlegV

Post by OlegV »

Great! Thanks!
You have an excellent product.
Oleg Vishnevetski
intramanga

Post by intramanga »

Administrator wrote: If a file has been locked by another application or the system for write access there is nothing you can do. Only the app that locked the file can release the lock.
Came across this post looking at your forum.
Actually there is a solution for this , have a look here : http://www.vwsolutions.com/productInfor ... roductId=3
Using this as a trial and it seems to work with my other backup software, so i guess it will work with yours as well :idea:

Ed,
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

intramanga wrote:Came across this post looking at your forum.
Actually there is a solution for this , have a look here : http://www.vwsolutions.com/productInfor ... roductId=3
Using this as a trial and it seems to work with my other backup software, so i guess it will work with yours as well
Thanks for the feedback. We also have listed this solution at our Software Recommendations: http://www.allsync.de/help/t_fremdtools.htm