Backing up on NTFS drive - HowTo?

English support for the software AllSync
mva2se

Backing up on NTFS drive - HowTo?

Post by mva2se »

Hi.

I have an extra, removable, disk formatted with NTFS and I am running XP. I am making regularly backups on the extra disk with Allsync, and if anything goes wrong I wish of course be able to make a recovery of the backed up files.
But, when I created a new, (planned), XP installation I noticed that the new installation might had trouble accessing the backup disk. I tried with two different backupdisks and with one I was able to 'get ownership' etc. but with the other one I was asked by XP to 'import' or something like that (it was a while so I do not remember the exact details.)

So, how shall I use my backup disk? How shall it be configured in Disk Manager etc. to be able to recover from a new installation of XP?

TIA
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Backing up on NTFS drive - HowTo?

Post by Administrator »

I think it not possible to make a new installation of windows and import files from a other source for this installation. I never hear about this Try this website for help about windows backup and recovery: http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp ... efault.htm
mva2se

Post by mva2se »

But it does work, I am just not really sure what I did to make it work!
I have one harddisk from my previous XP installation, and from my new installation it is possible to access this disk. The only problem was with some folders, probably some that I changed permissions on. I could solve that with 'take ownership' etc.

Then, I have another disk, used as backup, made with Allsync, but the problem is that when I tried to access this disk, XP would not recognise it. So, I must have configured it differently, and I am just curious whether anyone knows what that might have been. So that I do not make the same mistake again.