Data Protection file path

English support for the software AllSync
mtn_roadie

Data Protection file path

Post by mtn_roadie »

win2k3 server
Allsync 3.035 Business Edition
Backup local files on hard drive to hard drive.

Copy Mode: Backup
Copy Method: B
Backup Options:
-create backup folder at destination
-sequence: backup folder \ source folder

Data Protection: Move items to a backup folder
-create subfolder: %p% (yy_mm_dd hh_mm_ss)

In the AllSync help file (Profile Properties - Data Protection), I'm following along the lines of Example 1 for creating backup generations:
Examples:
Backup folder: D:\Backup
Profile name: Test profile
File to be backed up: C:\Windows\Temp\Help.txt
Example 1:
Subfolder: %p% yy_mm_dd hh_nn_ss
ZIP file: -
After a copy operation the backed-up file is located in the following folder:
D:\Backup\Test profile 07_05_28 16_12_00\C\Windows\Temp\help.txt

In my tests, a sample backup folder ends up having a folder path such as:

Code: Select all

K:\AllSyncBackup\Daily-Test\2008-02-18 at 10.21.39\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AllSync

And the data protected backup folder ends up having this folder path:

K:\AllSyncDataProtection\Daily-Test (08_02_18 10_42_52)\K\AllSyncBackup\Daily-Test\2008-02-18 at 10.21.39\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AllSync
Per the example in the help file, and if I recall correctly, in the previous version of AllSync, shouldn't the backup folder have this path:

K:\AllSyncDataProtection\Daily-Test (08_02_18 10_42_52)\C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AllSync
In other words, it appears as if AllSync is adding the root path of the back up file location, i.e., "\K\AllSyncBackup\Daily-Test\2008-02-18 at 10.21.39\" to the backup generations.

Either the documentation needs to be updated, or the new version of data protection has a bug.

IMO, the backup generations should not include the root path of the backup folder as this creates an excessively long folder path. The long folder path in turn causes problems in normal Windows operations such as the files at the end of the directory tree can not be deleted because the folder path is too long.

Can you please clarify if the documentation is incorrect or if this is a bug in the current version of AllSync?

Thanks!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Data Protection file path

Post by Administrator »

Please send me your profile (*.pas) via email for testing and verifing this issue.

mtn_roadie wrote:The long folder path in turn causes problems in normal Windows operations such as the files at the end of the directory tree can not be deleted because the folder path is too long.
You must use an file explorer like "Directoy Opus" that support paths with more than 256 characters: http://www.gpsoft.com.au/
mtn_roadie

Re: Data Protection file path

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:Please send me your profile (*.pas) via email for testing and verifing this issue.
Email has been sent.