English support for the software AllSync
mtn_roadie

file comparison when transfering old items to new backup

Post by mtn_roadie »

Hi Michael,

Me again :D

win2k3 server
Allsync 2.7.46 Business Edition
Backup local files on hard drive to network connected hard drive.

Copy Mode: Backup (7 generations / transfer old items to new backup)
Copy Method C
- 300000 data bytes
- no pause
Copy attempts for files:
- no: 1 / Interval: 5 sec's
- advanced rule: 112,1,1,1
Compare contents of files after copying (selected)

With the option of "7 generations / transfer old items to new backup" and the option of "Compare contents of files after copying" being used together, does AllSync do a file comparison of *all* files when the old generation back up is transfered to the new backup?

In otherwords, AllSync is simply transfering the old backup files to the new backup; will AllSync do the same file comparison as if they were new copies?

Thanks!
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: file comparison when transfering old items to new backup

Post by Administrator »

AllSync doesnt copy the files from the old backup folder to the new backup folder. AllSync renames the old backup folder and set the current time/date stamp. Fast and easy...
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:AllSync doesnt copy the files from the old backup folder to the new backup folder. AllSync renames the old backup folder and set the current time/date stamp. Fast and easy...
I understand that AllSync doesn't copy the files again. :) Does AllSync perform a file comparison on all the old backup files?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

mtn_roadie wrote:Does AllSync perform a file comparison on all the old backup files?
Yes, if you use rule 3 to 6 of the option "Rule for Overwriting Files".
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Hi Michael,

In addition to the previous question (from some time ago :) ), when I add a folder filter to exclude a folder that has been previously backed up, AllSync does not delete the excluded folder from subsequent backups. From what I can gather, AllSync does not add any new content, but it also does not delete the excluded folder. How can I have AllSynch delete the contents of excluded folders from future backups?

Thanks!
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Create a filter for that folder and activate the copy rule "Delete items at destination which are filtered at source".
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:Create a filter for that folder and activate the copy rule "Delete items at destination which are filtered at source".
I already have the "delete items at destination which are filtered at source" checked.

When I run a copy preview, the preview shows the folder filtered, but the destination does not show anything to be deleted; rather, it shows a folder that is to be created (according to the icon legend) with no content inside the folder.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Please send me a screenshot of your copy preview. I want see that icon of the source folder is "Folder filtered" and the icon of the destination folder is "Folder created". Normally this is not possible...
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:Please send me a screenshot of your copy preview. I want see that icon of the source folder is "Folder filtered" and the icon of the destination folder is "Folder created". Normally this is not possible...
You can see that all folders that are filtered have an icon in the preview to create an empty folder (note: I will remove this screen shot within 24 hours):

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

At your screenshot i dont see a source folder that is filtered AND a destination folder that should be created...
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Administrator wrote:At your screenshot i dont see a source folder that is filtered AND a destination folder that should be created...
The left side has "raregrooverider" filtered. The right side shows "raregrooverider" as folder to be created (at least that is what the icon legend says the grey folder icon indicates); please correct me if I'm mis-interpreting what the right side folder icon represents.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

The icon of the folder "raregrooverider" on the right side stand for "Folder not present". Please check the icon of this folder at the report legend again.
mtn_roadie

Post by mtn_roadie »

Sorry, that was my mistake on the icon interpretation. I can not seem to pinpoint it, but when I've filtered a folder, often times it remains in the newly created backup set. I've just ran a separate test and this time it appears to be working. I guess I'll just keep checking for filtered folders manually for now since I can not reproduce this 100% of the time.