Feature request: batch process source file reads

English support for the software AllSync
jim5055

Feature request: batch process source file reads

Post by jim5055 »

Background
I have a 300GByte NAS store that contains lots of individual files - photo and the like. I have to date run rync in the NAS server to a USB Drive attached to the NAS server and if the images are up to date it takes approx 30 minutes to do a file compare.

The problem with this solution is that I cannot copy 300Gbyte using rsync without USB drive lockup. Once I have an image created, rsync is ok as the amount of data to be copied is always less than a giga byte or so ie the initial image creation is a pain.

So now I want a replacement backup system - I have had AllSync unused for some time now so time to start using it.

The problem

This 300GB NAS store is accessed as a drive mapping in windows XP where I am running AllSync Pro.

I use AllSync to image this data store to a USB drive attached to the XP machine.

If the images are up to date (tkaes 2 days to create the initial image) it still takes 9 to 10 hours to check - ie no file copies just checking file dates / times / size etc. AllSync appears to do this check file by file.

Feature request

Is there some way to read a bunch of such source file data in a batch then do a faster compare to the destination drive?

Obviously there will have to be some caveats like this action assumes no file activity on the source for this batch compare time.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: batch process source file reads

Post by Administrator »

Which AllSync version do you use?

Please create a copy preview of your profile and after process the copy preview. This should be run much faster if your network connection is too slow.
jim5055

Post by jim5055 »

Thanks for the hint.

re version: I recently upgraded to the latest version.

I had wanted to run in scheduled mode and I suspect that preview mode will not work there?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

The copy preview is not available at the scheduler. You can start and process the copy preview automatically with the command-line parameter -ra. Maybe you want to start this copy action via the windows task scheduler.
jim5055

Post by jim5055 »

Yes this command line option is faster but it leaves the GUI open and any following scheduled command line calls will not do anything with an open GUI. The -h option runs the copy in the background but a) does not seem to be a valid option with -ra and b) I am not sure if it will do the preview or just do a slow one for one compare - testing now.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Please use the the additional command line parameter -X6 to close the app after the copy action. Please check the AllSync help file for more information about all available command line parameters.
jim5055

Post by jim5055 »

Ah thank you , I was looking for such a close option in the profiles . .