HardLinks Not Recognized & Dir Size incorrect

English support for the software GetFoldersize
viking

HardLinks Not Recognized & Dir Size incorrect

Post by viking »

I created a dir0 and placed 2 sub directories in it: Dir1 & Dir2
I placed a text file (11 bytes) in Dir1 and a hard-link to this text file in Dir2
After scanning Dir0, it shows that there is 1 file in each directory, total Dir0 size is 22 bytes and no hard-links are shown.

The directory size is incorrect since the files size is only 11 bytes (and there are two links to the same file)
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: HardLinks Not Recognized & Dir Size incorrect

Post by Administrator »

Have you activated the options "Count the file size of hard links once only" and "Determine hardlink count"?
The options are available at the sub menu of the start scan button.
viking

Post by viking »

Administrator wrote:Have you activated the options "Count the file size of hard links once only" and "Determine hardlink count"?
The options are available at the sub menu of the start scan button.
No, I didn't notice this option. I tried it and it and I only needed to check "Count the file size of hard links once only" for it to show the "correct" size and the hard-links.
Thanks Administrator (Michael?)!

Is there a manual or help file for the program?

I have some suggestions:
1. I was going to remove the analyzed folder from the results window and clicked "Delete Folder". I didn't realize that this actually deleted my real data folder :cry: :cry: !!
I would suggest a warning asking if the user really wants to delete the folder and files on hard disk!

2. I realize that the program intent is to analyze disk/folder size. However, it would be great if GeFoldersize could also move folders to another disk, keeping the hard-links structure intact. With most file-managers (including Windows Explorer), moving the folder removes the hard-links and creates copies of the hard-linked files instead.

I have been searching for a program that can analyze the folder size, taking into account the hard-links and also move such folders to another drive (keeping the hard-link structure intact)!
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Unfortunately, there is no manual or help file for GetFoldersize available.

1. We will added a new dialog to confirm the deletion of a folder with the next update.

2. Thats a very special suggestion, but we will add it to our ToDo list.
viking

Post by viking »

Administrator wrote:Unfortunately, there is no manual or help file for GetFoldersize available.

1. We will added a new dialog to confirm the deletion of a folder with the next update.

2. Thats a very special suggestion, but we will add it to our ToDo list.
Has the feature of moving folders to another disk, keeping the hard-links structure intact, been implemented in v3.0.4? If so, how do I use it?
TIA!
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

no, this feature is not available.