Search Results Window Crashes in AllDup 4.4.42 on Windows 10 Home

English support for the software AllDup
tmcrae63

Search Results Window Crashes in AllDup 4.4.42 on Windows 10 Home

Post by tmcrae63 »

Using the "similar pictures" option to search through 90000 files. AllDup completes the task and produces search results with 9500 duplicates in 4500 groups (all numbers rounded, obviously).

First, I save the results to a file in case a crash occurs. Then, select all files except the largest in each group and expand all groups so that I can scroll down through the results. While scrolling through, there are some groups that I choose to delete all files. Half of the way down the results, the results window "flashed" or "flickered" for the lack of a better description.

At that point I could not select anything in the results window or maneuver through the results. Nor, could I save the results to file again to preserve the additional selections that were made. Sometimes I can close the search results window, reopen the saved file again and start editing all over. At other times, AllDup completely crashes, closes itself and has to be relaunch. I have never experienced this with previous versions of AllDup. Is this a known issue in 4.4.42? Any solutions for this?

Thanks.
Last edited by tmcrae63 on 17 Dec 2020, 07:18, edited 3 times in total.
therube

Re: Search Results Window Crashes in AllDup 4.4.42 on Windows 10 Home

Post by therube »

(AllDup) CPU & RAM usage when this happens?
Do you have Preview enabled?

If you only expand all, then scroll down (without otherwise selecting or doing anything else), will that complete successfully or do you again crash while scrolling?

System specs including video? Are your video drivers up to date?
tmcrae63

Re: Search Results and File Manager Crashes in AllDup 4.4.42 on Windows 10 Home

Post by tmcrae63 »

Thanks for the questions. They made me realize I wasn't specific enough about what actually happens. Two things are happening:

1. The Search Results window crashes as described in my previous original post. I can scroll up and down the search results. But, when I start making selections, at some point the Search Results window will crash. No log is produced during these crashes. I can see no pattern. Sometimes I can make hundreds of selections and sometimes 15 or 20. By periodically saving the results to file, I can reopen the results (minus the changes made since the last file save) and resume reviewing the results and making selections. Eventually (and painfully) I can make to the end of the reviewing the results and then can proceed to the File Manager to take action on the selections.

2. The "File Manager" (delete, copy, move and rename selected files in the Search Results) crashes. Once in the File Manager window when I press OK to move files to the recycle bin, it crashes. A crash dump is produced (see a copy of it below). I did not experience this problem on the previous version I used (4.0.x). I upgraded to 4.4.42 and that's the first time this problem surfaced. Below is the crash log that will answer questions about memory, etc.

Thanks.

Now: 12/16/2020 4:33:25 PM
App: AllDup 4.4.42
ExeInst: 12/6/2020 2:40:05 PM
IniCreate: 11/7/2016 10:43:53 AM
Modul: frmFileManager
Func: Process_Selected_Files
Line: 440
Err: 13 - Type mismatch
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\AllDup\AllDup.exe
AppUp: 0:06:24
SysUp: 7 days 16:08:13
OS: Windows 10 (Build 19041) Version: 10.0 Build: 19041 ID: 2
64bit: True
IE: 9.11.19041
PhysRAM: 558.21 MB Free / 11,204.00 MB Total
MemLoad: 95%
RAM used: 130.93 MB
Pagefile: 4,688.57 MB Free / 26,063.09 MB Total
VirtMem: 3,536.70 MB Free / 4,095.88 MB Total
CPU: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Screen: 1536x864xTrueColor (4294967296)
Portable: False
User: xxxxx
Comp: xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx
Apptitle: AllDup 4.4.42
Datapath: C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\AllDup
Admin: True
Errcount: 1
Lang: 9
Stop:0,0
Sb1:
Sb2:
Sb3: Groups: 4554
Sb4: Files: 8986 \ 9594
Debug0: 0
Debug1: 0
Debug2: 0
Debug3:
Debug4: 6
Debug5: Deleting/moving/renaming files could render your windows system inoperable! Don't change files that are a part of the windows system or any application!

Process the action 'Move files to the Windows Recycle Bin'?
Debug6:
Debug7:
Debug8: 3
Debug9: 0
Debug10: 0
Debug11: 0
Debug12: Move files to the Windows Recycle Bin
Debug13: 1
tmcrae63

Post by tmcrae63 »

Wanted to provide an update to the File Manager crashes. When I changed the action from "move to recycle bin" to "delete files", the File Manager did not crash when I pressed OK. It deleted the files and produced a log showing all of the deleted files. I'm not aware of any limits on the Recycle Bin that would not have received the amount/size of files that were being deleted. So, I don't know what to make of the success when directly deleting the files.

Update 2020-12-23: I now believe the size or number of files is not the issue (for Windows itself):
1. Completed another search that yielded results slightly larger number of files and size that before and encountered the same issue when trying to move to recycle bin on delete. Then selected to move files to a folder I created and that was successful. I was able to use File Explorer to delete the contents in the folder (move it to the recycle bin).
2. Completed another search that yielded 8 files and selected move to recycle bin on deletion. With just 8 files, the same issue occurred when Alldup failed to remove the files and generated an error report.

The problem seems to be with Alldup using the option to move files to the recycle bin on deletion.
Last edited by tmcrae63 on 23 Dec 2020, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
tmcrae63

Post by tmcrae63 »

Additional information. I opened the log file after the latest Search Results window crash and noticed the following errors:
ERROR: 480 - Can't create AutoRedraw image (ZoomPicture1/StretchBlt/3)
ERROR: 480 - Can't create AutoRedraw image (ZoomPicture1/StretchBlt/4

Looking further into this error message suggests there wasn't enough video memory which cause the AutoRedraw function to fail. I have not encountered this type of issue with any other software on this device. Makes me wonder if this could be caused by the way the software is written/designed. Maybe there's a fix from a software perspective?