Search Result Direct File Operations

English support for the software AllDup
mz1888

Search Result Direct File Operations

Post by mz1888 »

I understand it's possible to use AllDup's existing functions or the Windows Explorer to move files between searched folders.

But it'd be much faster to be able to select any number of files, cut, and select another folder within the search result and hit paste. This way, the moved files would automatically disappear without having to remove it from the search result. It would be nice if the search result could auto/manual refresh to reflect the new files on searched directories. This saves running the search yet again.

This way, AllDup would become more intuitive as it's starting to behave like Windows Explorer instead of being a special and restricted environment. The same can be accomplished by directly passing through the users' Windows Context menu.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Search Result Direct File Operations

Post by Administrator »

Copy and paste files inside the same group or between different groups?
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

Both if possible. Windows Explorer is now considered a tax to AllDup. It's slow, cut/paste can fail at times and it cost more clicks to specify the varying destination folder each time. It's the partial contributor why so much dup and similar files can accumulate over time.

WYSIWYG is far more intuitive. Personally I have Beyond Compare as a secondary defense (via Context Menu) but AllDup demanded that I must open two additional folders, find and select both files, right-click, select compare, and wait for the result. Imagine doing hundreds or thousands of times.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

i guess this is something we can add in a future release:

1. mark some files from inside several groups
2. select 'cut' at the context menu or using a hot key
3. mark another file and choose 'paste' at the context menu or using a hot key

this will move the marked files (1) on the hard disk into the folder of the marked file (3) and remove all marked files (1) from the search result
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

This would be perfect, especially with the planned image thumbnail feature.

The Edit Hot Key allows the Control key so I can map these two file operations to Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V.