Search Result Grouping Enhancement

English support for the software AllDup
mz1888

Search Result Grouping Enhancement

Post by mz1888 »

Here's some possible enhancements to the result presentation:

1. Additional grouping by folder structure, for Folder1/Sub1 and Folder1/Sub2, introduce additional grouping by Folder 1, with no % Match, but with Size and # duplicates
2. Allow path to be the first column
3. Allow sort path by ascending/descending path structure. Example: Folder1, Folder1/Sub1, Folder1/Sub2..., Folder N/Sub N. As of now, the path order does not appear to provide any reasoning, perhaps just how comparisons were computed?
4. Sort by % similar by the absolute difference of the min and max. Or, just allow path sort would suffice.

As of now, it's difficult to use the search result page as is to go over the large dataset, pinpoint to largest subset by path, re-open another instance of AllDup, re-run result using same param, perform deletes, go back to the original instance, re-run to refresh, move onto next largest subset. I've also reviewed other dedup apps and all have the same readability issues. I'd prefer AllDup to be the best and only app to use and recommend to others.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Search Result Grouping Enhancement

Post by Administrator »

mz1888 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 10:52 3. Allow sort path by ascending/descending path structure. Example: Folder1, Folder1/Sub1, Folder1/Sub2..., Folder N/Sub N. As of now, the path order does not appear to provide any reasoning, perhaps just how comparisons were computed?
The sorting of the path column works fine:

Screenshot - 01.06.2020 , 12_06_32.png
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

Yes that's a very ideal case where it works.

However, in reality, similar dups come in this way:
20200601 213624 WORKHORSE.png
It makes me wonder how the comparison is done because % similar is non-directional. So is it up to the sequence of discovery aka ascending folder structure?? Thanks.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

What column was sorted at your screenshot?
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

Administrator wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 15:32 What column was sorted at your screenshot?
I sorted by path asc or desc, same issue.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

I still dont understand what is wrong with sorting at your screenshot?
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

It jumped from sub1 to sub2, then back to sub 1. It's expected when sorting by path, it goes sub1 then sub2 and not back again.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

For me everything looks correct.
i guess you are confused by the sorting order ascending and descending?
You are sorting a flat list and not a hierarchical structure like a tree view...
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

From your screenshot, the ascending ordering on the path is hierarchical thus correct, when the file names are identical.

From my screenshot, it shows path sorting is disrupted i.e. non-hierarchical when filenames are dis-similar. The only way this makes sense is that AllDup aggregates all files in one list ordered by filename, look up similar files sequentially, and dumps the output as is. And the path ordering is done within the grouping, not between the grouping.

If sorting by path is working as perceived by average users, we'd see sub-folder hierarchy: 0, 1, 2,....,n-1, n, not 0, 1, 3, 1,...n.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

the sorting is always based on the content of the column cells.
in case of the path column its a flat list with text strings that will be sorted (ignoring case).
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

It's not exactly a flat list. If you sort by group, it will sort by the filename referenced by the group. However, if you sort by path, only the path within the group would change and the groups would remain unchanged.

Is it possible to add tree view as an additional feature? introduce additional grouping on top of the filename grouping, or, allowing moving path column before the filename.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

mz1888 wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 06:22Is it possible to add tree view as an additional feature?
There is already a tree view at the first column.
introduce additional grouping on top of the filename grouping
Maybe we will add a multi-column sorting style like this: https://www.grapecity.com/wijmo/demos/G ... umnsorting
allowing moving path column before the filename.
We already tested this but the grid gets "confused" internally when the position of the tree view with the groups is not inside the first column...
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

Maybe we will add a multi-column sorting style like this: https://www.grapecity.com/wijmo/demos/G ... umnsorting
Yes please and thank you. The FlexGrid would put AllDup way ahead of the curve.
JoBeCo

Post by JoBeCo »

mz1888 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 08:50 Yes that's a very ideal case where it works.

However, in reality, similar dups come in this way:
20200601 213624 WORKHORSE.png

It makes me wonder how the comparison is done because % similar is non-directional. So is it up to the sequence of discovery aka ascending folder structure?? Thanks.
I'd like to pull this up again. Actually there is no chance to sort the whole result table by path.

As shown in the screenshot there are three groups. Sorting by path-column should also change the order of the groups. So the total list could be examined and inspected in path order.

Example (nearly the screenshot):

Code: Select all

Group 1
    \a\a
    \a\a
Group 2
    \a\b
    \a\b
Group 3
    \a\c
    \a\a
Ascending Sort:

Code: Select all

Group 1
    \a\a
    \a\a
Group 3
    \a\a
    \a\c
Group 2
    \a\b
    \a\b
So the sorting you implemented takes place in group 3 but also group 3 needs to be placed above group 2. With the same paths in the first row groups 1 and 3 could also be sorted the other way ...

Cheers,
JoBeCo
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

JoBeCo wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 23:17 So the sorting you implemented takes place in group 3 but also group 3 needs to be placed above group 2. With the same paths in the first row groups 1 and 3 could also be sorted the other way ...
Sorry, this is not possible...