Workflow/Usability Feature Requests

English support for the software AllDup
mz1888

Workflow/Usability Feature Requests

Post by mz1888 »

Thanks for this great app for similarity search. I have used it most of the time however still find myself looking for other solutions that may offer better workflow though less features and stability.

If you are willing to consider the following small UI improvements, this could be the only app that most people would ever need. Many of the features are offered by competitor however their similarity feature is not as good!!

Ability to sort results by path based on directory structure (sort by name/modified/...etc); as of now, the order is not continuous and somehow random, very hard on the eyes (flow interrupted)
Ability to move path/file size column before file name column
Ability to show individual file size during similarity compare; to see the size difference, the user must manually open path, very time consuming
Ability to hide already deduped single files; many single lines after deduping, makes the result harder to read
Ability to use external problem to compare similar files i.e. Beyond Compare; right now only internal comapre command is possible and it didn't work for pdfs.
Ability to merge any two or more user-selected/highlighted files into each other's folder; this is more like a file manager function but much more convenient to be within the dedup app
Ability to open highlighted files with single press using any external viewer; for example, the internal viewer does not provide page count
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Workflow/Usability Feature Requests

Post by Administrator »

Ability to sort results by path based on directory structure
You can sort the search result by clicking on a column header.
Ability to move path/file size column before file name column
Sorry, that will not be possible.
Ability to show individual file size during similarity compare
Sory, i dont understand what you want...
Ability to hide already deduped single files;
Use the remove command "Remove all groups with a certain number of files" to clear up the search result.
Ability to use external problem to compare similar files
Thats already possible using the context menu command "Compare highlighted files" for 2 hightlighted files.
See main window -> Options -> search result -> "External program for comparing the contents of two files"
Ability to open highlighted files with single press using any external viewer
Thats already possible using the context menu command "Open highlighted files with external program".
See main window -> Options -> search result -> "External Program to open file(s)"
mz1888

Post by mz1888 »

Thanks for the feedback.
You can sort the search result by clicking on a column header.
The default sort is non-continuous. If I sort by file path, the ordering appears random and does not follow existing folder structure which is either sorted by filename or last modified date. It will jump to other subfolders, then back to same folder as before. It would be visually pleasing if the orginal folder tree structure is maintained.
Sory, i dont understand what you want...
When similarity is searched, only the total size for the group is returned. The information of size differential of identical file can be ignored, but for slightly different file, that info has value.
Use the remove command "Remove all groups with a certain number of files" to clear up the search result.
Would be nice if there's simple button to "hide" groups that ware just processed. This include groups with 1-n files AND groups with status of at least 1 files has been removed.
Thats already possible using the context menu command "Open highlighted files with external program".
See main window -> Options -> search result -> "External Program to open file(s)"
[/quote]
This only works for single file. Sometimes the group has large number of pdfs, and Adobe is too slow. Possible to allow batch open with Sumatra PDF, as example?

Also, appreciate if any feedback on this:
Ability to merge any two or more user-selected/highlighted files into each other's folder; this is more like a file manager function but much more convenient to be within the dedup app
«G~Lí†çh»

Post by «G~Lí†çh» »

I want to display dupes outside of groups and forget about grouping dupes at all. All in ONE ROW (very different view):
Remove a triangle icon*, and display all dupes in ONE ROW but seperate COLUMN:
Each duplicate = new columns:
1. Path ends with <d:>\<3>\<2>\<1>\<0>
2. Date Created
(3). File name (if differ)
(4). Date Modified (if differ)
Sort columns order from shortest path to longest (or vice versa) or from oldest creation date to newest. If volumes are different – sort like this:

Code: Select all

Duplicated File	|path		|Date Modified	|(1) Copy						|(1) Created	|(2) Copy					|(2) Created	|(3) Copy					|(3) Created / (3) Modified		|(4) Copy			|(4) Created / (4) Modified
Filename.exe	|C:\  <!root!>	|19.V`86 19:19	|…\NewFolder\New Folder\supp3rhh1ddn\Fil3n4me.exe	|18.IX`10 10:10	|X:\VeryOldBackups\;-D.OS\Soft\FileName.exe	|20.I`07 10:19	|X:\…\Home\Rarities\WierdSoft\F!LɛNαme.eχe	|21.XII`12 23:34 / 22.XII`12 5:15	|Y:\Quarantine\WTFileName._xe	| 17.XII`12 20:20 / --- - ---
File_id.txt	|C:\  <!root!>	| 8.V`86 15:14	|…\NewFolder\New Folder\supp3rhh1ddn\File_id.diz	|18.IX`10 10:10 |X:\VeryOldBackups\;-D.OS\Soft\File_id.diz	|20.I`07 10:19	|						|					|Y:\DOo_OSoft\File_id.txt	| -- attributes are missed --
Oh, yes, there are the files with missed Date attributes!
*triangle icon is buggy: Select something (group or an item in group) then CLICK and DRAG the TRIANGLE!
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

«G~Lí†çh» wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 00:18 I want to display dupes outside of groups and forget about grouping dupes at all. All in ONE ROW (very different view):
What you want is a normal display like a flat list view.
That's not possible because AllDup uses a treeview to sort the files inside groups.
«G~Lí†çh» wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 00:18 *triangle icon is buggy: Select something (group or an item in group) then CLICK and DRAG the TRIANGLE!
We tried to drag & move the triangle icon from a group or file but it doenst move...
«G~Lí†çh»

Post by «G~Lí†çh» »

Administrator wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 16:17
«G~Lí†çh» wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 00:18 *triangle icon is buggy: Select something (group or an item in group) then CLICK and DRAG the TRIANGLE!
We tried to drag & move the triangle icon from a group or file but it doenst move...
Oh, it just MODIFIES a selection! Collapse group to make selection faster, but accidentaly made a click-drag — selection modified! Annoying! :(
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

That's a normal behaviour because click+hold+move is a selection feature of the grid.
You can click+move anywhere inside a row to start this kind of selection.
But the grid selection feature is optional and can be changed.
Here are the available selection modes:

Code: Select all

MULSEL_NONE
Multiple selections are not allowed.

MULSEL_SIMPLE
Simple multiple selection. A click or the Spacebar selects or deselects an item in the list.

MULSEL_EXT
Extended multiple selection. 
Shift+click or Shift+arrow key extends the selection from the previously selected item 
to the current directory. Ctrl+click selects or deselects an item in the list.

MULSEL_EXPLORER_LIKE
Windows Explorer style multiple selection support.
The selection is changed on MouseDown for all situations except the case when user holds CTRL key 
while clicking the mouse or when clicking over an already selected item.
Currently we use the mode MULSEL_EXPLORER_LIKE.