English support for the software AllDup
ipunis

Find duplicates within same subfolder

Post by ipunis »

Hi,

is there option that can help me to find duplicates using folowing criteria:

1. Look for duplicates only within same subfolder
2. Compare only n characters from filename start

I want to explain, after data loss about few month ago I have recovered photos from few hard drives and saved all photos in one drive with many subfolders starting with date. Here is my folder structure.

\Recovery\2011\2011-10-15\10_original\*.nef etc.

I need to compare all subfolders down to \Recovery but not to compare files from two different date folder only within same (last level) folder.

Next, because of photo recovery software not all same files have same name, but they begin with same sequence od characters like _DSC9964 for example. They have different size (maybe 50 to 100 bytes) also because of recovery software/method, but the files are same.

I have lot of files to compare, is there any option to do that with alldup ?

Thank you in advance.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Find duplicates within same subfolder

Post by Administrator »

Sorry, both not possible...
DaveTrouser

Post by DaveTrouser »

Could this function be added? I have a similar situation where I am trying to find a way to delete many duplicated filenames, but ONLY duplicates found within the same subfolder.

This is because many thousands of ".msg" files, saved from MS Outlook were converted to EML format. However, the conversion tool could not handle the volume of files, and crashed about 2/3 of the way through. It also left the .msg files after conversion instead of removing them!

So, because it cannot complete the conversion process while there are so many files, I cannot simply delete all .msg files. AllDup works nicely, but it picks up duplicated filenames in unrelated folders. EG:

Folder 1:
Filename.eml
Filename.msg

Folder 2:
Filename.msg
Filename2.msg

In the above two folders, I only want to delete "Filename.msg" from "Folder 1". So far, I cannot find a way to tell AllDup to ignore "Filename.msg" in "Folder 2", because it is not really a duplicate - only in name.

Is it really not possible to add an option to find only duplicates that share the same subfolder?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Why doesnt you run a search for duplicates with the same file content?